Vaccine Question Again

Guest ss556

Alan is due for 3 yr. rabies - getting it this next week. What about "DA2P-PV" for him? 11 years old, health issues? I didnt' speak to my vet yet b/c he's not in until Monday. I'd like to get some thoughts here anyway.

Personally, I wouldn't bother getting it at age 11. But that is just my opinion. I don't vaccinate annually as it is cuz I am a firm believer that animals are way over vaccinated. When they get older, I don't think it is as necessary if they have had annual vaccines up to that point.

Guest Lizardina

I work at my vet's office PT on the weekends and was glad to hear when they changed all the K-9 Da2PP shots to 3years.

My 11yr old going on 12 in March got a 3 year shot last year and I told the vet that would be her last vax due to age. They agreed with me and just

advised me not to take her places like dog parks where other dogs could bring in disease. I was happy with that answer and just have to renew her Rabies

tag over the next few years. I do get her blood work done about once a year now due to age though.

Guest FullMetalFrank

When I took Frank in for his DHLPP earlier this year, my vet discussed doing the three year option with me because of Frank's age (8) and that is what we went with. So he won't be due again until he is 11; and then we will consider our options again at that time. I really don't want to over vaccinate and I think it happens all too often.

My guys (non-greys) go to shows and events all over the place but we crtainly do not do every year shots - even our vets in town where there are a lot of dog parks have joined the three year recomendation.

We do Rabies and DHPP boosters 12 months after their puppy shots, then Rabies every three years and DH2PP at 3-4 yrs, 7-8 yrs and maybe 10 yrs - if I was concerned about an older dog I would do titres

Pam

I don't take Alan to dog parks, but we go to a neighborhood park where other dogs "go". He does sniff out stuff there. Would this be a reason for the DA2P-PV?

We do everything at 3 years except for kennel cough (bordetella) and leptospirosis -- those we do annually.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Personally, I wouldn't bother getting it at age 11. But that is just my opinion. I don't vaccinate annually as it is cuz I am a firm believer that animals are way over vaccinated. When they get older, I don't think it is as necessary if they have had annual vaccines up to that point.

Just remember that this is only theory... no data to support it. Not saying you are right or wrong... but some veterinary immunologists argue that senior pets need vaccines more than young adults b/c their immune system is not as strong and they are more dependent on active circulating antibodies stimulated by vaccines. If you think about the flu vaccine, it is highly recommended for the young and elderly moreso then young adults.

On the other side of the argument, an animal that has been consistently vaccinated should have plenty of "memory" cells and the reminders really may not be all that beneificial. To further support that argument, I've never diagnosed parvovirus in a senior animal.

So... for now I vaccinate mine q 3 years and while I do wonder if there is a "cut-off point"... b/c we don't know... IMHO the risk of vaccinating every 3 years is very low and the risk of stopping is really unknown (maybe higher maybe lower). Until we know, I guess I'm sticking with what we know for sure is safe. Again not saying I'm right or wrong (there is no right or wrong on this subject)... just explaining the other side of the argument.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg