Rocky Update

Guest 4gryhnds

Guest 4gryhnds

:rolleyes: I listened to what you all had to tell me about how to cope with a senior who cannot handle stairs. I set up a "litter box" in the kitchen, but Rocky has yet to use it......at least not on purpose. I have only confined him to the kitchen a few times for short periods. He has pooped (with no aim), and has yet to pee. He still manages to handle the stairs during the day when we are not home. When we are home, he barks for assistants, waits for me to come and help, and then does the stairs himself....I think he has me wrapped around his pretty paw! He knows he gets a treat after the stairs.

We had a scare this weekend. Rocky has had an issue with his toe (toenail) for about 6 months. It grew very large. It only seemed to bother him when the other dogs stepped on it. When I asked Dr. Eli about it, he said that amputating the toe would be an option. He could send it in to the lab to see if it was cancer. Rocky is 13 years old, has high blood pressure, and breaths very heavy with any amount of exercise. I decided against it. Saturday, the toe/toenail burst. It was awful. His nail and first "Knuckle" were hanging by a piece of skin. I rushed him to the vet. I was afraid that I would have to make a decision. Dr. Eli suggested that if he just cut it off and treat Rocky with antibiotics, Rocky may be able to continue having quality of life. What was there to loose? Rocky is already on Rimadyl and Tramadol. I just increased the Tramadol for a couple of days. Rocky didn't seem to feel well all weekend, and limped badly. I was afraid I had made the wrong decision. I do not want my boy to suffer. I removed his bandages and took him off the Tramadol. I believe that a big part of the problem was that he was to sedated. Tuesday he started acting more like himself, bright eyes, perky ears, big time interest in eating! His limp has gone away. I am grateful that Dr. Eli was there to help. It may have turned out a lot different. I do believe Rocky still has quality of life! Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

Sue

Thank you for the update. Sending prayers and huge hugs! :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Sending good thoughts for Rocky. You may be right about the Tramadol. I'm glad he's feeling a bit better.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Sending lots of prayers :hope:hope and healing white light :candle:candle to Rocky. Hugs for you, Sue. :grouphug:grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest FullMetalFrank

Awwww... I am glad he's feeling a little better. I have heard that Tramadol just sometimes doesn't sit well with some dogs, which is unfortunate because it is such a good pain reliever (I know, I take it for chronic foot pain!!!)

I hope his toe heals right up and he is a happy boy again.