Shanti Will Barely Eat

We started the new VF medication. We are only at 1/2 dose at the moment. She is snubbing food big time! I feel bad. I finally got her to eat a handful of noodles and my pizza bone. She only ate a couple bites this morning. She needs the food to make the medicine work. She is a PITA eater anyway with a sensitive stomach. Fun huh?

My house is out of stock of stuff she might eat. Good news is Hunter goes back to school tomorrow so I can get to the store and look for tempting goodies. I see Mc D's cheeseburgers in my future. I do have a can of tripe. I will break that out for breakfast to see if that works.

This just makes me sad.

The Girls

Guest BlackandBrindle

Ok, Sadie is not nearly what I'd consider a picky eater, but here's what works for her.

Peanut butter sandwich

Canned dog food

Evangers rabbit, duck, buffalo (heck anything Evangers)

Scrambled Eggs

Sweet Potatoes

Sardines (if you don't want to use the actual fish, just use the water from the tin)

Pasta with a tiny bit of butter

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but that's what we've used.

Oh, and raw eggs are a good source of protein when she won't eat anything else.

Eat something for mom Shanti!

How is Shanti this morning? Did she find any tempting morsels irresistible? Hugs to you and your girl.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Is she on anything for her stomach? Like Cerenia or Pepcid? That may help. I've been giving Pepcid to Misty hidden in ice cream and hour before she eats. We're keeping Shanti in our prayers. Please eat little girl

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Polli is my PITA eater and with the chemo it's horrible.

For Polli- it's carbs- crunchy carbs- much like a pregnant woman who has morning sickness can eat crackers for nausea.

So, try cracker with peanut butter, granola bars (nature valley peanut butter) burpdog biscuits, peanut butter dog cookies, milkbones and if we were really lucky, she would eat shredded chicken breast very late at night. Keep the greasy stuff away from her.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest BlackandBrindle
Is she on anything for her stomach? Like Cerenia or Pepcid? That may help. I've been giving Pepcid to Misty hidden in ice cream and hour before she eats. We're keeping Shanti in our prayers. Please eat little girl

Unfortunately, with VF meds, you can't use these.

How is Shanti this morning?

She snubbed round one. Pasta, moist dog food and more pizza bone I saved for her. So I broke out the tripe. That did the trick!!!!!!! :banana She ate 99% of what was in her bowl. Asti and Nala are saddened by this. :P I was surprised. The tripe did not smell nearly as bad as I expected. I can do that if she will eat it! She was actually very pleased herself she ate. She then came and wiped it all over me. Thanks! There is a pet store around the corner from us that sells this. I will go get some more. Hopefully this will work for more than a couple days.

Knowing they have to eat with this medicine in order for it to work makes me stress more when she does not. Normally I would say she will eat when she is hungry. Can't do that.

I have to say I am very pleased right now!!! :D

The Girls

Guest BlackandBrindle

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm telling you, the frozen is much worse. The canned is nothing :P

Good girl Shanti! I'm sure Asti and Nala were very disappointed to not share in the bounty :lol

Shanti, Precious girl I am happy you ate the Tripe but can you please eat more for mommy, She is so worried about you and so are we... :grouphug:grouphug

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm telling you, the frozen is much worse. The canned is nothing :P

Good girl Shanti! I'm sure Asti and Nala were very disappointed to not share in the bounty :lol

On Dirty Jobs Mike Rowe went to the place that preps the BARF diet. Do you know the SMELL test the tripe!?!?!? The look on Mike's face when he did that was priceless! Apparently it could smell worse! :eek

The can was not bad. No worse than canned dog food and I am really sensitive to smell.

Asti was like a shark preying on Shanti's bowl. It was funny. She would not eat her food until Nala and Shanti had eaten theirs. She did not want to fill up on hers when there could be better stuff! :lol

I am going to go get some granola bars too. She might like those. If not, my kids will eat it. I might need a pill gun too. She is getting leary of the velveeta and won't touch a lot of other stuff. It is all poison in her eyes.

The Girls

Guest LolasMom
I might need a pill gun too. She is getting leary of the velveeta and won't touch a lot of other stuff. It is all poison in her eyes.

I can't remember if you've tried Pill Pockets with Shanti? They're pricey but have done the trick mpst everytime for us.

Guest LoveMyJoseyBean

Try cream cheese...when my girl started getting smart about pills and vitamins, cream cheese worked every time. I use the stuff that comes in block form. just roll a piece into a ball with the pill in the middle and down it goes!

Guest BlackandBrindle

Get the pill gun. It'll save you lots of worry about whether or not she'll take the pill. I got mine at Petsmart, but I found them online for much cheaper. I just wanted one immediately...

I'll see if I can find the link for you... brb

http://www.discountpetmedicines.com/buy/pill-gun.htm

I don't know how much shipping is, so it might be easier to just go to Petsmart or one of the big box stores (as much as I hate to do it, I will occasionally)...

Just reading this now and so glad Shanti has eaten - good girl!

Our Angel Vinnie was a champion pill spitter, even with the gun - so you may want to try liverwurst or braunshwager (spelling???) - they can be a bit smelly but the pups seem to like it and it helps hide the smell of the pill - ours now just swallow it down so quick they have no idea there is a pill in there - it helps that it is soft and moldable too - comes in a tube shape and we just slice and wrap.

Keep up the eating Shanti.

Guest longdogs
Sadly, cream cheese is out too. I still have some, she won't touch that either. Imuran use to go in that. Made her sick and now she won't touch it. :(

It helps to keep making changes so they don't get to associate a particular food with a pill or an unpleasant experience. Nugget was a fast learner and we were lucky to be able to use the same thing for two days straight. There is lots of choice. Mouldable and smelly is ideal, otherwise you can make little sandwiches of softer material, pinched together and about the same size as ravioli. For the latter, canned liver pate is good choice, so is ripe brie, smoked salmon, squashed up sardines or fish paste. These are really tempting and smelly. We frequently used to feed little titbits like this to Nugget so she wouldn't be expecting a pill each time.