Please Tell Me I Am Over-reacting

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

Riley is my 13 yr old American Eskimo. He has been with me since he was a pup. Yesterday on our usual 3 mile walk, he started to limp. I got home and showed my husband. We decided to give him a couple days rest, with no walks, and if the limp wasn't gone in a couple days, we'd take him to the vet and make sure everything is OK and see about arthritis meds.

Well today his limp is more pronounced. I sat down and gently examined the leg/paw. His wrist is swollen. I keep freaking out about cancer and I can't stop crying. Please tell me I am over-reacting. He got a bath on Tuesday, I am wondering if an injury started during the bath, and simply needs help in getting better.

We go to the vet at 1:30. I am a mess. Please tell me I am over-reacting and premature in getting so worried.

100_1627.jpg

Video of limp

th_100_1628.jpg

He has also been having a problem of an overly oily coat. I hope the two are not connected.

He is not lethargic, and he has an appetite. I know my crying is upsetting him though. I have got to get a grip here.

:grouphug

Don't think the worst! My boys all limp at some point after long excercise even though they won't do it everythime. He could have cut a paw, strained a musicle, anything. So don't think the worst and worry yoirself. And let us know what the vet says.

:grouphug

All 4 of mine have limp issues yet only one has osteo. You have got to get a grip as you said, for his sake and so you can think clearly.

We are all here for yuo, no matter what it is. Be strong for your boy.

update when you can.

Prayers for Riley.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Odds are it's old age creeping up on him. And because you asked...you are probably over-reacting. :P Prayers for Riley.

eta: We have an 11 yo Husky who will go all out on a walk. She likes to run every where. Only after she gets home does it catch up to her. Then comes the limp.

Edited by benson

Guest KennelMom

I usually let myself get worked up and scared to death because most of the time, the vet determines it's nothing and I feel hugely relieved. I prefer that to convincing myself it's nothing only to be devastated by an serious diagnosis. My approach to life: expect the worst, hope for the best.

Drives my DH crazy. He's one of those: don't worry until you know there's something to worry about type of people....which drives me crazy :P

It probably is nothing. Though, there's probably very little we can say here to make you not worry.

Guest EmilyAnne
Odds are it's old age creeping up on him. And because you asked...you are probably over-reacting. :P Prayers for Riley.

eta: We have an 11 yo Husky who will go all out on a walk. She likes to run every where. Only after she gets home does it catch up to her. Then comes the limp.

Thank you! This really assures me, I do hope this is all it is! Perhaps it's just time for Riley to start some arthritis meds. Maybe shorter walks? Or divide the walk between two walks? Perhaps the cold hurts him?

Throughout Riley's life, I have had so many special needs pets. His lifetime companion of 12 years who passed away last year had epilepsy, diabetes, severe arthritis, blindness. And then Brittany our chihuahua had severe constipation problems and needed our assistance in making a BM in the last years of her life. Then George my cat of 17 years had kidney disease and needed sub-q fluids in the last three years of his life.

Throughout it all, Riley has always been the healthy one. I am always so proud to tell people that Riley is 13 but still like a pup. These last few months though, old age has really been creeping up on him. It just really scares me. During difficult/scary times with other pets health difficulties, I have always been so relieved that Riley has no problems. I know they are supposed to get old and eventually pass on, but sheesh, that don't make it any easier. It pains my heart terribly that my pets can't live a good 50 years. Me and my husband always predicted that due to Riley's excellent health that he'd live an unusually long life. The health of our pets is something we just can't take for granted, and I guess it's something I have always done with Riley as a coping mechanism in dealing with my other pet's health problems.

Anyways, I have stopped crying. Chances are he just needs anti-inflammatories and rest. And shorter walks. Perhaps arthritis meds. I am very glad he'll be into the vet in a few hours so I can stop over analyzing and driving myself batty. :rolleyes:

Thank you everyone for all your kind words! :grouphug

Guest zoolaine

Luna had several limping episodes earlier this year. She would start limping about 5 minutes into a walk or after playing around the house. This would go on for a couple of days and then with curtailing her activity she would be fine for a few weeks then the cycle would repeat. When I took her into the vet it was just a muscle strain up high in her shoulder. She got about a month worth of pain pills and has been great ever since. I would recommend the glucosamine. Luna's joints looked great with no arthritis, even though she is quite overweight. My older dogs have been on it for about 3 years now, I just buy the Costco human kind and crush and hide in their cottage cheese.

Good luck at the vet appointment and let us know how it goes.

Guest greytexplorer

Mandy is 11 and we can only take short walks. Two a day is great, if I can find the time, but we always walk once.

It's a short trip. Down the hill, turn left, walk to the poop area, turn around and head home.

Walking up the hill, and up our steep driveway just about does Mandy in. She's dragging by the time we get to the driveway.

She takes 1/2 tablet of previcox every day for arthritis, and it really helps.

hugs to you and your adorable Riley,

~Pat

yes, of course you are over-reacting, we all do :) I once took Sugar to the evet because she was limping and it was a holiday, so my regular vet wasn't open. Soft tissue injury, got better completely on it's own :blush

I am like Heather (Kennelmom), I expect the worst, and mostly am pleasantly surprised :)

I hope you find that Riley just overdid it, maybe is starting a little arthritis!

Guest EmilyAnne

Here's a better picture of Riley's lump. It's right in front of where his tongue is in the picture. Compare it to his normal wrist on your right. See the difference?

100_1626.jpg

We all over-react. I used to have my vet come every time Morgaine limped. I knew that it was because I had lost Scarlett to osteo and he knew it so he always asked me to wait a day and see if there was any improvement. And there always was. Still, it is hard not to be scared.

Sending lots of good thoughts and prayers that Riley is fine and the vet just starts him on glucosamine.

It's that cold, rainy MI winter weather! (Used to live there - now enjoying 80° winters in FL!) Poor Riley! You're wise to take him in to be examined and here's hoping that it's just old age related issues. My 4-1/2 year old started limping in March, has been examined 4 times, xrayed from head to toe, completely rested (although I have caught her doing "doughnuts" in the livingroom) and she's still limping! In other words, it could be ANYTHING! Keep us posted!

Hugs for Riley and a "chill pill" for Mom. Riley is one handsome guy!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

EmileyAnne, as hard as it might be try not to get too upset. It could be just the weather and his arthritis, We are sending lots of prayers and hugs.... :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:hope:hope

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest EmilyAnne

$215 later, ( :rolleyes::lol ) Riley is just fine! :banana He had 2 x-rays taken, and ~ DIAGNOSIS: Swelling. :D He is on Meloxicam for 6 days, and cannot be walked for 2 weeks. :omg

I'm so happy everthing is A-ok!!!! :colgate

I am thrilled for you and Riley. Peace of mind really IS priceless.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest SoulsMom
$215 later, ( :rolleyes::lol ) Riley is just fine! :banana He had 2 x-rays taken, and ~ DIAGNOSIS: Swelling. :D He is on Meloxicam for 6 days, and cannot be walked for 2 weeks. :omg

I'm so happy everthing is A-ok!!!! :colgate

Peace of Mind: Priceless :P

I'm so glad to hear it is nothing major. When Soul started limping last year I felt the same way . . . .