Could You Spare Some Good Thoughts For My Boy

Thank you all for thinking about Nadir. Connie the idea about getting a prescription is a very good one except the vets around here refuse to write prescriptions for anything. I've already ask on several different occasions and the answer has always been no. I couldn't even get them to write a script for heartworm meds although my dogs are regulars and always have the yearly exams clearing them of anything. Really why write me a script when they're making so much money off these drugs they dispense. Debbie is that an American Bulldog I see in your siggie. My Bruiser is an AB and my very first heartdog Gabby was an AB. I tragically lost her 8 yrs ago and still miss her dearly. She was truly one of a kind.

Thank you all for thinking about Nadir. Connie the idea about getting a prescription is a very good one except the vets around here refuse to write prescriptions for anything. I've already ask on several different occasions and the answer has always been no. I couldn't even get them to write a script for heartworm meds although my dogs are regulars and always have the yearly exams clearing them of anything. Really why write me a script when they're making so much money off these drugs they dispense. Debbie is that an American Bulldog I see in your siggie. My Bruiser is an AB and my very first heartdog Gabby was an AB. I tragically lost her 8 yrs ago and still miss her dearly. She was truly one of a kind.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They just took him in for the MRI. If that doesn't show anything the next step is spinal tap. I'll let you'll know what they find as soon as I know something. His bloodwork showed low WBC count of 2.1. That was what the level was last year when he was having problems like this.

Well we're finally back home and have good news but at the same time no news. They we're able to pinpoint the area of pain by manual palpitation to the area where the lumbrosacral area and the hips join. The x-rays and MRI however showed nothing except the MRI did show a decrease of epidural fat in this area. The good news was that tumors and need for surgical intervention was ruled out. We are now waiting on the results of lumbar cerebrospinal fluid tap and tick titers. Thank you for keeping Nadir in your thoughts maybe soon we'll have this resolved and he will be pain free.

we'll be waiting for furthur posts then...

best wishes

:candle

Linda

Everybody, thank you so muchl for asking about Nadir.

Yesterday was not such a good day for him. From the reddish-brown coloring of his urine yesterday morning it appears that he did have a reaction to the anesthesia on Monday. I took him up and left him with my local vet to administer subcutaneous fluids. He was very despondent throughout the day. After I got home with him after picking him up yesterday afternoon I noticed that the skin of his right rear leg was a deep red color from the knee down. I took him back up to the clinic the regular vet was already gone and the vet still there was really puzzled over what this was. He is an older vet and said that he had never seen anything like it. He told me to take him home keep cool wet towels on it and give him some Bendadryl and bring him back in the morning for more fluids and to have the other vet take a look at it. This morning Nadir's demeanor was much more upbeat. The despondancy I saw in him yesterday could very well have been the affects of still coming out of Monday's anesthesia. I took him back up this morning for more fluids and showed them his leg. One of the ladies on staff mentioned something that made a lot of sense. She said he may be allergic to the cleaning supplies they use in the crates. They had a blanket down for him but his leg may have scooted off the blanket and been in contact with the crate. They said they would take precautions with him so that it doesn't happen today. At this point I'm still waiting for the results of his tests from Auburn to see what could possibly be causing the pain he's been experiencing in his back. The incontinence has improved so it looks like the Baytril is doing the trick.

Linda,

It is so sweet of you to be concerned with Nadir's condition with just losing Loki. When I was driving Nadir home Monday evening from Auburn I kept thinking about how you lost Loki and had to reach back numerous times with my arm to touch him to make sure he was still with me.

How are you doing? I know it has to be hard right now for you.

Judy,

Mom to Greyhounds Nadir & Beanie,

and American Bulldog Bruiser

I know you're probably still waiting for results but I'm just wondering how Nadir is feeling?

I'm still waiting on the rest of the test results. Last night and this morning he was not feeling so good. Usually he likes to make a full round of the perimeter of the fence to sniff everything out. Last night and this morning it was just a quick pee and he was ready to come back inside. He has been very despondent. On an encouraging note he has managed to stay dry these passed 3 nights without me having to take him out in the middle of the night. Baytril must be doing its job. I'm glad that it's looking like the incontinence probably isn't so much related to his back but to the bladder infection. Now if only the rest of him could be fixed.

Thanks for keeping him in your thoughts.

Judy

I know you're probably still waiting for results but I'm just wondering how Nadir is feeling?

I'm still waiting on the rest of the test results. Last night and this morning he was not feeling so good. Usually he likes to make a full round of the perimeter of the fence to sniff everything out. Last night and this morning it was just a quick pee and he was ready to come back inside. He has been very despondent. On an encouraging note he has managed to stay dry these passed 3 nights without me having to take him out in the middle of the night. Baytril must be doing its job. I'm glad that it's looking like the incontinence probably isn't so much related to his back but to the bladder infection. Now if only the rest of him could be fixed.

Thanks for keeping him in your thoughts.

Judy

Thanks Judy. Baytril is expensive but usually acts pretty quickly. Now for the rest....I wish they would hury up!! Keeping nadir in my prayers

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Thank you all for thinking about Nadir. Connie the idea about getting a prescription is a very good one except the vets around here refuse to write prescriptions for anything. I've already ask on several different occasions and the answer has always been no. I couldn't even get them to write a script for heartworm meds although my dogs are regulars and always have the yearly exams clearing them of anything. Really why write me a script when they're making so much money off these drugs they dispense.

Is it just me, or does the refusal to dispense or even just prescribe necessary medication seem unethical? :angry: Anybody know of a vet accreditation group or something that one could inquire about this?

Or maybe I should post this in the Soapbox section, where I could *really* let off some steam! I didn't want to bring up this line of thought previously, but now that Nadir is doing so much better -- :clap -- I feel better about it.

Hang in there, Judy and Nadir, you're doing greyt!

Mary

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Is it just me, or does the refusal to dispense or even just prescribe necessary medication seem unethical? :angry: Anybody know of a vet accreditation group or something that one could inquire about this?

Mary

I didn't mean to make it sound in my post that the vets here will not give medications when needed, they just will not write you a prescription for it so that you can look for it somewhere else cheaper. Their more than happy to dispense medicine at their overly inflated prices. The story I always get is that they do not trust the quality of some of the drugs gotten over the internet.