Zoe - What Could This Be? Update Post #12

Guest 4baddogs

Guest 4baddogs

This is long and rambling, so please bear with me.

On Monday night, the right side of Zoe's face was swollen from under her jaw to the top of her eye socket. I wish I'd taken a picture because it was so bizarre looking. At 8:15 she looked fine and at 8:45 she looked like a freak. She wouldn't let me touch her or look in her mouth (I thought maybe it was a tooth). We rushed her to the e-vet. They checked her teeth and other than 14-year old greyhound teeth, they were fine. They asked it she'd gotten into something and to our knowledge, she hadn't. Our house is very dog-proof because she is the queen of the trash cans. I'd remembered earlier in the evening that she had a red spot on the left side of her face and thought it looked funny. When I touched it to see what it was, she pulled away from me. I mentioned it to the doctor and she said perhaps she got stung by something or bitten by a spider. Zoe was given both a prednisone and Benadryl injection and some kind of ointment for her eye. They didn't do any bloodwork, which bothered me. We got home around 10:30 and at midnight most of the swelling was gone and she looked pretty normal. I worked from home most of the day yesterday so that I could keep an eye on her. Today I'm working from home all day.

She's never been a big eater, but since Sunday she hadn't eaten much. She's incredibly picky and we're forever changing her food because she decides she likes something for a few months and then changes her mind and won't touch it. I hoped that the steroids would stimulate her appetite, but it hasn't. I made ground beef and rice for her and she's eaten a small bit. She's also eaten a few pumpkin and yogurt treats that I defrost and feed like ice cream.

She now has bad diarrhea and went in the kitchen last night. Not a big deal and I cleaned it up. But, just now I put her outside and she squatted to go to the bathroom and couldn't get out of the squat, if that makes sense. She walked all the way through the yard and back to the door in a squat position. I tried to help her up and she cried. This happened one other time this summer and one time early fall in the house when her back legs slipped while she was eating.

We have an appointment at 7:00 with our regular vet to see what he thinks. I'm a total basket case because she's my second heart beat. I pray that she'll feel better in a day or two and she's not shutting down. I seriously can't handle losing another dog.

Edited by 4baddogs

Sending prayers for your sweetheart. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Lots of prayers coming your way. Sounds like something bit her. You may want to ask your vet what he/she thinks about any of the TBD's. Hoping for a good update

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Sending lots of white light and prayers for Zoe and Paula. Please give us an update when you can!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest 4baddogs

We just got back from the vet. Zoe’s original appointment was for 7:15 tonight, but after another squatting episode at 3:00, I called and they got us in at 3:45.

The doctor said it was probably a spider bite that caused her face to swell.

The squatting problem is a bladder infection. When he did a rectal exam, she wouldn't let him touch her bladder because it is so inflamed. They did an x-ray to check for bladder stones and it came back negative. In fact, her blood tests were perfect, as they always are. When I asked what caused the bladder infection he said it was probably the steroid injection on Monday night and that it compromised her immune system. She’d done this squatting thing twice before, so perhaps she’d had a mild bladder infection and the steroids sent it into a raging one.

The doctor gave her an injection of pain medicine and antibiotics and also sent us home with the same. Hopefully this does the trick and she’ll be back to her normal diva self in a few days.

Thanks so much for worrying with me. Greytalk friends are the best. :)

Edited by 4baddogs

Whew! What a relief! Cut and dried - my favorite type of diagnosis! I'll bet Zoe needs some rest and Mom might do well with a cold one....................soda, that is!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead