Joe -- Another Bad Night

Guest joedogs_mom

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest joedogs_mom

Hmm...tonight has been up and down. Why are the nights so freaking hard?

He's been pretty restless and whiny for the last couple of hours -- I went ahead and gave him his Tramadol and Dex (steroid) a couple of hours early with 2 hot dogs and some yogurt. He's been weirdly "talkative" tonight, and I don't know if he's in pain (no doubt to some degree he must be) or telling me he's hungry or what. After the dose of meds and hot dogs, he has promptly sat down on his bed.

My husband will be home in less than 12 hours thank goodness. Again, I pray for the wisdom to know when it's time and that my husband and I will agree on this issue. He still is so young (will be 10 in January) and it just stinks that our 5 1/2 years with him have just been too short.

My in-laws have my son tonight (bless them) in hopes that I could focus on Joe and sleep...thanks for all of your support.

Nights are always bad when you have a sick pup or a sick child. I haven't a clue why but it always seems like I feel worse at night when I'm sick too. Nice that you had a good day yesterday. Hopefully seeing his daddy will make him feel a whole lot better.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest HHDesigns

Hi Laura -- so glad Peter will be home today. I know this will be a big relief to you. You are of course in my thoughts and I'm sending many hugs...

Guest joedogs_mom

He was restless until around 3 am when I lied down on the floor with him. He FINALLY seemed to sleep and we just got up. He is looking for food and is needing meds now, so I'm making his turkey and rice and hopefully he'll settle back down. I have to head in to work for a couple of hours this morning but will meet Peter at home in about 4 hours.

I can not spend another night with him like this -- if Peter wants to be with him tonight to assess what he's been going through, that's fine, and I understand...but I'm probably going to spend the night at my in-laws for my own health and peace of mind.

Again, I appreciate it everyone.

Please tell me how Joe manages to NOT eat 4 out of 7 pills when they're buried in a bowl full of ground turkey and rice??!! Frustrating.

Edited by joedogs_mom

You and Joe remain in our prayers. When I need to give Misty her meds, I've learned not to put it in her food, she's too wise to that. I've always had luck putting them in cream cheese because that tends to just slide down easily. Ice cream has also worked well for us. Hoping Joe has a comfortable day and you get some much needed rest!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Joe is very clever to avoid 3 pills. I think they know which don't agree with them. My dogs have done that and did better without the pills they were rejecting. If he can do without those, maybe you can just not give those. Anything is worth a try at this point.

Maybe Joe is missing his daddy. But it's true; nights are always tougher than days.

I'll be thinking of you today.

Marcia

Guest joedogs_mom

The cream cheese is a great idea -- Vicki, dear friend and director of MSGAO, suggested Liverwurst, too. I hated to leave him this morning...I could tell he didn't want me to go. Heartbreaking. If I weren't under a lot of pressure at work, clearly, I would not have come in to the office even for a couple of hours.

I don't have much in the way of suggestions, but can I ask - since he is on NSAIDs, is he getting any acid reducers? Jack paces and is restless and unhappy all evening and half the night if he has too much Metacam or Previcox. We've worked out he does best on a quarter of the recommended therapeutic dose, but he still needs Zitac to control his stomach acid. He also does better on his painkillers given in the morning - although the vet recommends evening.

I have no idea why.

Here's hoping that your sweet Joe will settle soon and be more comfortable.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I've had some sick animals over the years -- cancer, kidney failure, etc. Pain/discomfort always seems worse at night. The vets told me that it wasn't my imagination. For whatever biological reason, it IS worse at night. :seesaw So I'd take that into account in assessing their functioning and in administering meds.

Hope you get some rest, some improvement, some resolution, whatever you need.

:grouphug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest joedogs_mom

My husband is home, and Joe is happy about that. He even barked at a squirrel out the window today. Still eating well...but the days are good...we'll see how things go tonight. My husband talked to the vet today and seriously wants to consider surgery. If we're going to do it, we have to do it fast...and we couldn't have a better vet to perform the surgery either...he is wonderful. I'll keep you updated.

Barking at a squirrel -- clearly still doing one of his favorite things; Daddy being there seems to be his second; I don't know what the third is, but he's eating and that's good.

If the pain is worse at night, I wonder if keeping a light on would help. Just a wild idea!

If there's a surgery to fix this and you can afford it, why not do it?

Marcia

Guest joedogs_mom

Just a quick update -- we talked more to the vet today about things. We are holding off on surgery for a few more days just to see if there's any more improvement. I am not sure I want to go ahead with the surgery, but I will probably let my husband decide. As I've said before, the days seem to be okay...it's the nights that are bad. Thankfully my husband took care of Joe last night while I caught up on sleep in another room. Thanks everyone...will keep you updated.

Guest joedogs_mom

Back from another vet visit...we're continuing to treat Joe medically versus surgically. We'll see how it goes. He only lost 1 pound since getting back on the steroids about 10 days ago...that is good for him. He will never eat normal dog food again, I can tell you that...he eats ground turkey, liverwurst (yuck!), hot dogs, brown rice with chicken broth, cheese, yogurt, peanut butter, etc.

The vet actually backpeddled today and said he did NOT think Joe was a good candidate for surgery at this point after being optimistic with Peter about it last week...his worst fear is us paying thousands for the surgery and for Joe not to make it through or not to have relief.

We continue to take it one day at a time.

That's the latest...thanks everyone.

Laura

Edited by joedogs_mom

Sending more prayers for Joe...I hope each one day at a time is a good day. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Prayers for Joe and hugs for you and DH.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest K9_Lady

:grouphug I know what you are going through because it sounds so much like I went through with my Malinois, Arco. What finally helped him was electr-acupuncture and continued Adequan Injections. I remember many sleepless nights and I also had him on many of the same Meds Joe is on. The electro-acupuncture did so much for him as well as the Adequan/Aquapuncture treatments. Nights were the worse before he was diagnosed and received the treatments. They were not cheap but were so worth it for him. Also running and jumping were no more for him. I bought a Wiggle Wags and whiskers harness which helped alleviate a collar aggravating his neck and we went a more frequent but shorter walks. I ended up loosing Arco to Cancer not his neck/disc problem.

Now my 3 and a half year old Greyhound Amy was diagnosed with a cervical nerve root impingement so I am back to giving Adequan injections on yet another dog. Hope you find something that works for Joe!

Guest FullMetalFrank

I am glad to hear that Joe seems to be holding his own, and is enjoying some quality time. i wish I had some advice on hat to do for making the nighttimes better.

Guest joedogs_mom

My husband just left with Joe to have him put to sleep by our vet.

I am sad I can't go, too, but I have to stay behind with my toddler.

We are obviously so sad...but I do have some relief knowing that he won't suffer any more. Thank you everyone for the support over the last few months.

I will post in remembrance when I can.