Joe -- Another Bad Night

Guest joedogs_mom

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest joedogs_mom

Joe is still zonked out from the morphine. I guess that's better than visibly being in pain or flailing around from the morphine. I am glad that he is still at least.

I was just re-reading my posts/topics about him over the last 3 months...it is nuts how fast he has gone downhill. Earlier this week he seemed so much better...I'm so so so sad about it. I'm praying for a better day tomorrow...he hasn't eaten a thing today, so tomorrow has got to be better than today...my husband leaves tomorrow night for business in Phoenix through Wednesday...I am also praying for some sort of improvement in the meantime so that I don't have to make any sort of decisions without him here if need be.

Guest joedogs_mom
Would you be willing to try acupuncture? Sending lots of prayers.

possibly...i just pray we can get him well enough in the next 24 hours to walk around, eat, etc. he is more alert now than he was a few hours ago (morphine shot this morning). he changed positions and yelped...he did just drink some water just now but still not interested in eating.

Guest joedogs_mom

update -- MAN, that was a LONG time to be away from Greytalk for me given Joe's condition.

it took a good 24 hours for joe to come out of the morphine state. he is eating ground turkey, hot dogs, canned pedigree (yuck!), beggin strips, milk bones, etc. he is staying pretty still...but is letting me know when he needs to go out to potty. the nights are the worst, as i feel like he can't get comfortable. he was up and down a few times last night and i'm not sure he slept a whole lot (especially given that he was basically a zombie from the morphine for a good day). he has only yelped a handful of times in the last 24 hours, so that is much better...it still hurts me to hear him though.

my husband is out of town through wednesday and i'm praying i can keep joe somewhat comfortable until then...it is so hard seeing him like this. he did come to the kitchen last night when i was cooking the turkey and he definitely wanted to eat this morning.

the plan for now is to consult with dr. pearce again as soon as my husband gets back in town...there have certainly been a few times over the last 48 hours when i've thought it's time...but my husband isn't there yet.

how do you KNOW it's time?

bless his heart, all he wants to do is be right with me. i would look over in the middle of the night last night several times and he would just be staring at me. he is "only" 9 ( will be 10 in january)...we've had him for 5.5 years...that is not long enough!

i always thought that cancer would take him but it's these stupid disc issues that seem so treatable yet not.

any other thoughts on food he might eat?

Edited by joedogs_mom

No ideas about types of food, but have you tried the Nutitional Yeast? It's the only thing working for Misty. Keeping Joe in my prayers

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest joedogs_mom

I came home just now and Joe is panting and his back end seems to be "drooping." Geez...I need my husband here...I feel it's time...ugh. It was time for his round of meds, so we've done that now. Praying for an okay night.

Guest joedogs_mom

If everyone could just please pray that he makes it reasonably comfortably until my husband returns from business on Wednesday...my husband didn't grow up with pets, and Joe is the love of his life...he is devastated and trying to hold on and I just can't bear to see him like this.

Guest joedogs_mom

Thank you all -- what would I do without Greytalk?

Is it at all encouraging that he is eating so well? Today he has eaten 5 hot dogs and 2-3 cups of ground turkey and brown rice plus Milkbones and treats. He is on an appetite stimulator.

Edited by joedogs_mom

Can the dr. give you enough pain meds to get Joe thru till Wed? I've been in that position, just praying she'd hold on till Daddy got here for her. Even if Joe would be pretty much "out of it" with pain meds, he'd sleep and be relatively pain free till Wed? :dunno

Connie

Guest joedogs_mom
Can the dr. give you enough pain meds to get Joe thru till Wed? I've been in that position, just praying she'd hold on till Daddy got here for her. Even if Joe would be pretty much "out of it" with pain meds, he'd sleep and be relatively pain free till Wed? :dunno

Connie

he's on tramadol and dexamethasone...he had a morphine injection and a steroid injection on saturday morning.

So two more days till his dad gets home...I swear Heidi understood what I was asking her for - to please wait till Daddy got home before we needed to make the last visit to the vet. She wasn't in pain, but not really "with it", but she waited till Daddy got home and had one day/night with her. As long as Joe is in no pain, ask him if he'll wait. I totally believe that he'll understand you and will wait if he can. God bless you - it's such a horrible lonely and helpless feeling. White lite and peace to you both. I know it hurts so bad....

Connie

Sending lots of prayers and gentlest hugs for you and DH and your sweetest boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:hope:candle:hope:candle:hope:candle:hope from The Girls, and loads of prayers and conforting white light light for you and your DH! Hand in there. We are all praying for you and sharing in your pain. You are never alone!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

he's on tramadol and dexamethasone...he had a morphine injection and a steroid injection on saturday morning.

Dexamethasone can be stimulating to the point of insomnia in humans -- me, for instance. Prednisone does the job for me without the excess stimulation. Just a thought, that changing to prednisone might allow for more rest. And how long was the morphine injection Saturday supposed to last? Seems like it would wear off in a day or two, but I really don't know.

One of our greys, who's just turning 8 and having a lot of back-end weakness, appetite and weight loss, etc., is doing much better after only two treatments of acupuncture and chiropractic and some Chinese herbs. In fact, after the first treatment he slept all afternoon and then moved and ate better immediately. Seriously. (And sleeping/relaxing for hours after acupuncture is the usual response, I gather, though some pups/people get energized instead.) I'd be tempted to track down a vet that does that kind of treatment and get Joe in as soon as they can take him, rather than waiting for things to improve first with the medicines.

You're both in our thoughts and prayers here. :hope

Mary

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest joedogs_mom
i'm taking joe to the e-vet to be put down.

he has miraculously calmed down -- but nonetheless it is time. he is finally lying down now and we'll bypass the e-vet for the regular vet in the morning.

i'm so sorry to sound like such a fruit but goodness has this been a rollercoaster ride.