Hurt-leg Dogs...some Help Please

Timmy is 2 years old. He dislocated his hock early in the racing career and is now my perma lap dog. His leg healed up but is a tad crooked and lumpy looking over the break. He normally doesn't limp. When we lived in the apartment he would limp if he walked too much or too long. Now that we have the house he played and ran some and is now limping. I want to know from your experiences if its normal to limp with too much excersion and if it will always be that way or if he will build up or what. I know it's a dumb question but I have never had experiences with bad legs or anthing...even in people. I also need to know if we need to go to the vet or if this is normal.

Thanks everyone!!! I'm an overprotecive mommy....

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

In talking with the orthopedic vet about Bones' fractured shoulder I was told yes, a little lameness ( if it occurred) would be completely normal. He is 12 weeks post op and doesn't have much of a limp at all now. He is almost 11 years old to Timmy's 2 years. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it doesn't resolve with a little rest.

Edit to add. Will it get better over time and build up? Probably not, but it might. Have to wait and see on that one!

Edited by gazehund

In talking with the orthopedic vet about Bones' fractured shoulder I was told yes, a little lameness ( if it occurred) would be completely normal. He is 12 weeks post op and doesn't have much of a limp at all now. He is almost 11 years old to Timmy's 2 years. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it doesn't resolve with a little rest.

Edit to add. Will it get better over time and build up? Probably not, but it might. Have to wait and see on that one!

Thank you for your info. I just worry. I don't want to stop him from playing and enjoying life...he's so young...but I don't want to hurt him further either.

Does he have hardware?

I hate to admit that I don't know...:( He broke it september 2007, was avaliable for adoption in march 08, and I got him in June. He has a scar from stitches...if that helps... :unsure

I have a broken leg doggie (post op 3 years) and (she has some hardware) I do notice that when she exercises or plays too much she tends to pull her leg up and favor it again. She has always recovered in about 2-3 days and returns to using all four legs again. I do put a heating pad under her leg when she starts to favor it and I am sure that feels good to her. My doggie in question is 6 this year. She does get a glucosomine (spelling?) supplement as does my arthritis boy, daily.

As for being an "overprotective mommy", heck we all wear that badge from time to time, proudly too! Feel free to PM me with any questions you might have.

Hope the pup is back up to snuff soon. Your adoption group or her foster family might be able to assist you in finding out if she retained any hardware in her leg as well.

Warmly,

Lori

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Where was the leg broken?

Hock, ankle, quarter bone?

sometimes with an ankle break it's more reoccurring of a limp verses say a quarter bone break or a hock.

also when you have taken him out in the past and let him run for a while have you noticed a limp at all?

Where was the leg broken?

Hock, ankle, quarter bone?

sometimes with an ankle break it's more reoccurring of a limp verses say a quarter bone break or a hock.

also when you have taken him out in the past and let him run for a while have you noticed a limp at all?

Showing my dog medical-novice self. I always thought the hock was the ankle?? I'll blame that on subpar science classes...

Here it is. You can see the trace outline of the scar.

l_fbf35da9c3754dc1813264ed3971689d.jpg

I have to admit when I lived in the apartment I had nowhere safe for him to run so we would jog together. After a lot of excercise he would pull up some. It's not a heavy, hindering limp, he trots along but you can see it. He's just been limping for a couple days now with the run/playtime.

Should I not let him play/run? Will I injure him more if I let him?

I have a broken leg doggie (post op 3 years) and (she has some hardware) I do notice that when she exercises or plays too much she tends to pull her leg up and favor it again. She has always recovered in about 2-3 days and returns to using all four legs again. I do put a heating pad under her leg when she starts to favor it and I am sure that feels good to her. My doggie in question is 6 this year. She does get a glucosomine (spelling?) supplement as does my arthritis boy, daily.

As for being an "overprotective mommy", heck we all wear that badge from time to time, proudly too! Feel free to PM me with any questions you might have.

Hope the pup is back up to snuff soon. Your adoption group or her foster family might be able to assist you in finding out if she retained any hardware in her leg as well.

Warmly,

Lori

Ok...will def. get a heating pad for my baby. I will ask my adoption group about the hardware. It's something I never though to ask before. Thanks. :)

Guest WhenIGiveIn

To limp occasionally is normal, I have a Broken leg girl she shatterd one of the scaphiods in her wrist. This was only over the summer so its a pretty new break but with to much excersize she limps and I figure she always will. For a day with a bad limp she gets some crate rest and sometimes an asprin. If you decide to give and asprin make sure you still do some crate rest or they will make it worse. If a dog doesnt feel pain they will over use the injured leg and when the pain meds wear off it makes it worse.

Kingsley (our broken hock dog) will sometimes limp some after heavy exertion.... I would hold-back on play that does lead to the limping, but if he does not seem in great distress over it, I would not worry. You could also keep doggie aspirin, or other pain pill your Dr was comfortable with to give him for a day or 2 after a more intense workout.

But I should say, in general we keep Kingsley from getting to that point if at all possible. And we've had him for 3+ years, so you will probably see this happen "forever"

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).