Sore Between Toes

Guest meakah

Koda seems to have what appears to be an ulcer between two of her toes. I can only assume she must have scratched it some how and has now exacerbated it by licking it. I have been putting polysporin on it but it does not seem to be improving because her toes are constantly rubbing each other and it is such a moist area. I am sure some of you have had a similar experience so I am wondering what was the best course of treatment? I am pondering putting a piece of gauze between the toes (to absorb moisture) with some polysporin (similar to neosporin in the US) and then vetwrap the foot to keep the gauze in place and keep her from licking it. Any opinions on that? Any other ideas? There is no infection or anything...it is just a big raw looking. Thanks in advance. :)

Guest pbailey1

It may be an interdigital cyst and she needs antibiotics if that is the case....I just went through this with Secret. She was licking her foot and wouldn't let me touch it. When we got to the vet he was able to spread her toes and in between she had a terrible looking oozy sore there. Apparently they are common in greyhounds and if you have one you are prone to get them again. A couple of days into the antibiotics and it was well on its way to healing. She stopped licking it after the first few days of antibiotics, too.

Edited by pbailey1

Well, we just went through the whole "keep the tongue off the foot" thing with Romi, who had his toe amputated. We sprayed with colloidal silver and left it open for the air to get at, which helps the most with healing. I had to resort to a muzzle with tape on it to keep him from licking it, but it's healed up beautifully with this protocol.

If you wrap it up, it won't heal. You could try a cotton sock, it would let at least some air in while protecting it. But we really have found it's best to let the air at it and keep it clean.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

I am thinking it is not an interdigital cyst because it is not raised in any way. Everything that I have read about these says it is raised...is this incorrect? :dunno It started the day after we were at the dog park. She had walked into a muddy wetland and I am thinking maybe she got some debris stuck in between her toes and it just sort of got stuck on the web of skin in between the toes. The sore is right on the webbed part so there is no way she stepped on something...hence why I think maybe some debris got stuck in there and rubbed. There is nothing in there now...just an open sore that she keeps trying to lick. I have put a sock on it for now (along with some Polysporin) and will see how it looks in the morning. If it looks any worse I will take her to the vet to see if she needs to go on antibiotics. Thanks for the replies. :)

The other thing you may want to consider is using New Skin or Liquid Bandage on it. If it's not too big, that will form a seal and protect it from the rubbing.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

It may be an interdigital cyst and she needs antibiotics if that is the case....I just went through this with Secret. She was licking her foot and wouldn't let me touch it. When we got to the vet he was able to spread her toes and in between she had a terrible looking oozy sore there. Apparently they are common in greyhounds and if you have one you are prone to get them again. A couple of days into the antibiotics and it was well on its way to healing. She stopped licking it after the first few days of antibiotics, too.

Could you elaborate on how the sore looked? Was it raised at all? Or just a flat oozing sore? And what colour was the fluid coming from it? She has never had one of these before but I suppose there is a chance that is what it is.

Was it definitely a rubbed sore or could she have torn her webbing? Either way, a taped muzzle will keep her away from her foot - though I had to keep after Copper anyway as he has a very clever tongue!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest pbailey1

Could you elaborate on how the sore looked? Was it raised at all? Or just a flat oozing sore? And what colour was the fluid coming from it? She has never had one of these before but I suppose there is a chance that is what it is.

Unfortunately I never got a great look at it until it had started to heal some because she wouldn't let me near the foot. I got a little bit of a look at the vet, it was really red and oozy and he was able to express some fluid from it (I didn't get to see the color/consistency). It was a swollen lump before he got the fluid out, then it flattened out mostly, probably about the size of a dime or a little smaller. The vet also gave her a steroid shot to help with the inflammation and a course of antibiotics.

You might try asking the vet for some Cephalexin (that's what our vet said was the recommended antibiotic for this problem) - get them to call in a Rx to Wal-Mart - it's only $4 there :-) If it's not significantly better in a couple of days a vet visit might be in order.

Thanks for the replies. It looks waaaay better today after having a sock on it all night and day. I cleaned it up good tonight with Betadine and re-applied Polysporin and then put her sock back on. She doesn`t fuss with it at all with the sock and doesn`t seem sore on it at all today. :goodluck I did notice though that it is slightly raised today so i am wondering if it is a cyst. I will see what happens over the next couple of days...

Argos used to get these all the time. They looked pretty much like canker sores. I took him to the vet the first time and he went on a round of antibiotics, which cleared it up. After that, when he got them I would wash it with warm soapy water, dry it really well, then pack it with neosporin covered gauze and wrap his foot overnight. Then for a few days after that I'd make sure to wash & dry it daily. Always took care of it. Hope she's feeling better!

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~