Tankalas Paws Are Infected And Always A Mess

Guest Gideon

We've been to the vet four times about this.

There always seem to be swollen digits, a lump or two will develop, they are raw and irritated, etc...

The only time they are better is when he's on this antibiotic - the white and green capsule, I forget what it's called.

The last time we were at the vet, they thought it was a staph infection and prescribed this pink pill. This one has done nothing.

So, I am taking him back on Tuesday.

Any thoughts or ideas? Has anyone been through this? What eventually worked if anything?

Guest Winterwish

Could it be yeast,or a food allergy? reaction to a floor cleaner you use?

You could try epsom salts soaks for soothing,and I've also heard,for healing,of boiling up a batch of potato peels,taking them out,letting the water cool,and applying that as a soak too. Never tried it tho' Gideon.

If you do something like that I'd be sure to dry them completely.

:dogcookie:dogcookie

Take a looky here:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.js...tm/bc/70800.htm

If that's what it is, might need quite a long course of antibiotics to resolve it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You might want to have the vet test for food allergies. It sounds weird, but a lot of dogs with food allergies have problems with their feet such as you describe. It might also explain why you're having limited success with antibiotics.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Does he also show signs of irritation/pigment loss on his nose? Discoid lupus can affect toes, and tetracycline with niacinamide is often given long-term/permanently to treat that. could that have been the antibiotic he had before?

If you think it might be a food allergy you might want to consider switching to California Natural, it has very limited ingredients (see link below). My friend's Rhodesian Ridgeback has a lot of allergies as is constantly chewing herself and her feet. The vet suggested the CN sweet potato and salmon.

I saw that someone mentioned Epsom salts, I was wondering how it would be to use the stuff they are using on Ranchie, the dog with the bad staph infection on his leg. It is called Domeboro and I believe it is used as a soak like Epsom salts.

Good luck!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Take a looky here:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.js...tm/bc/70800.htm

If that's what it is, might need quite a long course of antibiotics to resolve it.

I took this in with me but the vet didn't think this is what we're dealing with. He thinks he is alergic to something. So, we are getting everything undercontrol and we'll start the blood tests.