A Terrible Second Day Of Ownership Of My New Gh Kitty

Guest pedalmasher

Guest pedalmasher

Again, thanks so much to all of your for the great information and support!!

I just returned from the vet, and I feel a whole lot better. The X-ray was fascinating to see. It clearly showed a major displacement of the outer toe. The vet attempted to gently snap it back in place, but apparently the pain was a bit much for the dog so she was sedated. The one thing that gives me hope of a potential cure without further intervention is that the vet indicated that the toe snapped back into place with a loud "click." A small splint was put on the toe, and of course it was bandaged (a real cool skull and crossbones bandage to match her leash and collar! :)). She gave us pain medication to use for a week, but I am going to watch her closely for signs indicating that I can avoid medicating her. I was given all kinds of things to take when I broke my neck, but not being a big fan of medications, I took none of it and did all right.

She seems very alert considering what she has been through and apparently was a real trooper throughout the whole ideal.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Just a note, dogs, especially many greyhounds, are incredibly stoic about pain. They might only pant a little more to indicate they are in pain.

I'd use the medication as directed until you're sure she's ok and not feeling pain.

On the other hand, you might have a drama queen (greyhound screamer of death) so what the vet perceives as 'too much pain' might just be melodrama.

Of course, you've only had her two days so you really have no way of knowing which situation is the correct, if either are.

Hope she heals quickly and without issue.

Plating a bone as small as a toe is not often (never say never, but I've never seen it) done because it's not well fleshed, so not much blood supply, therefore slow healing. Also because the bone is so small that sometimes the bone absorbs. Lastly, the dog doesn't "need" an outside toe for normal pet life or even for more athletic pursuits, so if it won't stay in place with rest and gradual rehab, amputation far more economical and quicker to heal.

Lynn

Plating a bone as small as a toe is not often (never say never, but I've never seen it) done because it's not well fleshed, so not much blood supply, therefore slow healing. Also because the bone is so small that sometimes the bone absorbs. Lastly, the dog doesn't "need" an outside toe for normal pet life or even for more athletic pursuits, so if it won't stay in place with rest and gradual rehab, amputation far more economical and quicker to heal.

Lynn

Guest pedalmasher
Just a note, dogs, especially many greyhounds, are incredibly stoic about pain. They might only pant a little more to indicate they are in pain.

I'd use the medication as directed until you're sure she's ok and not feeling pain.

On the other hand, you might have a drama queen (greyhound screamer of death) so what the vet perceives as 'too much pain' might just be melodrama.

Of course, you've only had her two days so you really have no way of knowing which situation is the correct, if either are.

Hope she heals quickly and without issue.

I appreciate that input and I will not play judge with her pain - I will just administer the medication!

Here is a shot of Kitty sporting her new skull and crossbones bandage matching the skull and crossbones on her collar:

2982728698_cc73bda596_m.jpg

Glad Kitty's toe is back in position!

Soon after I adopted Royal, she dislocated her toe. Took her to the vet, and they just snapped it back into place & sent us home. :huh Sure enough, she dislocated it again a couple of days later. This time they put it back in place & put a soft cast. The foot stayed casted for a couple of weeks, and over the next 8 years Royal never dislocated that toe again.

Maryann, Bama (TW Beltram), Stephanie (Tom's Stepinhi) & Henderson the Cardigan Welsh Corgi

Hope pretty girl Kitty feels better soon!

Buck is msising a toe with no ill effects. No WAY in the world would I plate a toe -- though it seems it is being suggested with alarming regularity by some vets -- perhaps because it is lot of $$$$.

Just so I have some ammunition for discussion, what is your rationale for not being positive about a plated toe? I just want some information should this come up in my forthcoming discussion with the vet.

You've already had the discussion, but if you broke or dislocated one of YOUR toes would you have it plated? The answer is probably no, even if cost was no object so I get kind of peeved at vets that want to plate toes...can't see any reason but $$$$.

Keep a close eye on the splint for rubbing and such. I see it is just on the foot and not up the leg... Cool wrap. Does she have the Lupine Skull and Crossbones collar?

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest pedalmasher
Glad Kitty's toe is back in position!

Soon after I adopted Royal, she dislocated her toe. Took her to the vet, and they just snapped it back into place & sent us home. :huh Sure enough, she dislocated it again a couple of days later. This time they put it back in place & put a soft cast. The foot stayed casted for a couple of weeks, and over the next 8 years Royal never dislocated that toe again.

I love hearing positive outcomes like that! :)

Mr. Murphy has a toe that dislocates all the time. It goes out and we just pull it back into place. It's absolutely no big deal. Eventually he will need it amputated if it gets too arthritic and painful even when it's in place.

good luck

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

Guest pedalmasher
Hope pretty girl Kitty feels better soon!

Buck is msising a toe with no ill effects. No WAY in the world would I plate a toe -- though it seems it is being suggested with alarming regularity by some vets -- perhaps because it is lot of $$$$.

Just so I have some ammunition for discussion, what is your rationale for not being positive about a plated toe? I just want some information should this come up in my forthcoming discussion with the vet.

You've already had the discussion, but if you broke or dislocated one of YOUR toes would you have it plated? The answer is probably no, even if cost was no object so I get kind of peeved at vets that want to plate toes...can't see any reason but $$$$.

Keep a close eye on the splint for rubbing and such. I see it is just on the foot and not up the leg... Cool wrap. Does she have the Lupine Skull and Crossbones collar?

Good point, but there was no further talk of plates. Here is where I got the collar and matching leash:

Visit My Website

just a note about the pain meds. I would give them to her. A pain in your neck is not the same thing as a pain in a dogs foot that they need to walk on. You can avoid using your neck but there is no way a dog can avoid using her feet.

Glad your Kitty is on the mend. If you need to keep her bandaged for any length of time you might want to get a Medipaw boot to keep it clean and dry while outside. They are waterproof and breathable and go on and off easily. I got mine and sitstay.com :rolleyes:

Guest pedalmasher
just a note about the pain meds. I would give them to her. A pain in your neck is not the same thing as a pain in a dogs foot that they need to walk on. You can avoid using your neck but there is no way a dog can avoid using her feet.

Excellent point Sheila - being in a stiff neck brace with no need to move one's neck is certainly a bit different than something the poor creature as to put her weight on.

Glad your Kitty is on the mend. If you need to keep her bandaged for any length of time you might want to get a Medipaw boot to keep it clean and dry while outside. They are waterproof and breathable and go on and off easily. I got mine and sitstay.com :rolleyes:

/quote]

I wonder if you can get them at Petsmart or Petco? She'll get the bandage off in one week so I need it quickly. Great idea!

Guest whatahound

I'm sorry that happened, Nikki is missing a toe and trust me she does not miss it.

I'm sorry that happened, Nikki is missing a toe and trust me she does not miss it.

I have one dog who has dislocated lots and lots of toes. Yay for me. :lol She also came to us missing a toe - and has no limp and doesn't bother her at all.

Here's an early other thread that had some helpful information:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=170595&hl=

I would take it conservatively. I know people have been lucky enough to have dislocated toes be a one time thing, but that wasn't my experience at all. We splint for 3-4 weeks each time, and leash walk only after that for a few weeks, to give the ligaments time to heal up.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. I've been through it all. :lol

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest LindsaySF

Aww, she looks so cute! Glad she is on the mend.

Hopefully it won't dislocate again, but I would limit her activity for a few weeks (leash walks only, no dog parks, etc).