Bad Breath

Guest jeffjs

Hello,

Our three year old boy Cicero has dragon breath!! We brush his teeth 2-3 times a week, regularly give him denta bones or denta sticks and tartar busters. His teeth are whiter than mine and very clean! But his breath is still enough to knock you back a few feet.

When we brush his teeth we use a tooth brush and tooth paste for dogs and there is no bleeding or any problem like signs of pain. He actually really likes getting it done and thinks it is a treat thanks to the beef flavour. We have only had him about 4 months and he had his teeth checked by the vet a few weeks after we got him.

Any suggestions as to what we can do to help the bad breath or what could be causing it would be great. Either way we still love him, bad breath or not!!

Jeff

My greyhound also had bad breath when I got him. His teeth & gums were fine. The bad smell originated from his stomach. He had GI problems. Once I found a diet that agreed with him, his digestion and breath improved overnight.

I would never want to speculate as to the "why" but my vet suggested I wipe Misty's teeth after brushing with Biotene mouthwash. It has made a remarkable difference on both her breath and her gums.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

If you're positive it's not his teeth, then you may want to have the vet check him over. Both greys we've had with bad breath it's been infected back teeth. Once theyw ere pulled, no more dragon breath.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Speedhoundz

Kane has dragon breath, too, despite having had a dental just 5 weeks ago. I was hoping that would cure it, but no such luck. My vet also said it could be a sign of acid reflux or some other GI issue, so she's having me give him Pepcid AC once a day for a month to see if it helps. But definitely ask your vet before starting him on any meds.

Good luck!

Condo...AKA Mr. Stinky also has Acid Refux... changing to Nutro helped some but we still give him a Half a pepcid and a beano everynight. His mouth isnt the only end that stinks. It has helped a ton but he will always be Mr Stinky to me!

Edited by toni