Pannus, Not Pannus, Left With Medications

seeh2o

Carl cannot tolerate Tacromlimus ointment or the Cyclosporin ointment, he had a bad reaction to both of them. He is on the Pred 2 x a day for now. I'm wondering if the problem is with the agent in the ointment rather than the medications themselves.

Anyway, I have one tube of each, used once each, sitting in my fridge, if anyone is So Cal can use them I'd be happy to give them to you. I don't think it would be a good idea to ship them as I believe they both need to be refrigerated all the time. Please PM me if you want one or both!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest greytmonty
Carl cannot tolerate Tacromlimus ointment or the Cyclosporin ointment, he had a bad reaction to both of them. He is on the Pred 2 x a day for now. I'm wondering if the problem is with the agent in the ointment rather than the medications themselves.

Anyway, I have one tube of each, used once each, sitting in my fridge, if anyone is So Cal can use them I'd be happy to give them to you. I don't think it would be a good idea to ship them as I believe they both need to be refrigerated all the time. Please PM me if you want one or both!

Monty too did terribly on a bunch of very expensive Pannus meds. We donated our Cyclosporine drops and ointment to our adoption group, in exchange for a free weekend of boarding!

Monty too did terribly on a bunch of very expensive Pannus meds. We donated our Cyclosporine drops and ointment to our adoption group, in exchange for a free weekend of boarding!

That's a great idea, thanks! If I don't hear from anyone here today I'll email them to see if they can use them.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Guest Greensleeves

I'd definitely look into that--there are other preparations (drops) and meds (Neo/Poly/Dex), as well as compounding pharmacies that can custom blend prescription medications (somebody here was saying she got her pannus meds from a compounding pharmacy just last week).

I'd definitely look into that--there are other preparations (drops) and meds (Neo/Poly/Dex), as well as compounding pharmacies that can custom blend prescription medications (somebody here was saying she got her pannus meds from a compounding pharmacy just last week).

Thanks, I'll ask the eye vet about it when we go to our follow-up visit, in about a week and a half. I'd just started wondering lately if it was the ointment agent rather than the medication itself, though, I think with the Tacro, because his reaction to that was so severe, it might have been both the medication and the ointment agent.

Tipper's been getting NeoPolyDex for four years now for his pannus with no ill effects. It's cheap too, about $11 per tube, and each tube lasts a good long time.

I should add though, that our vet ophthalmologist did say that some dogs have a reaction to NeoPolyDex too, so maybe it'll work for you, maybe not. :dunno

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest jziegler

Funny, Morgan didn't tolerate the Cyclosporin ointment well either. She gets the anti-biotic ointment (Vetropolycin) and lubricating drops, and seems to be doing very well on that combination. Our vet was a little surprised that she had trouble with the cyclosporin, but dropped it and gave us the lubricating drops when we said she was having trouble. She's had the pred some of the time, but seems to not need it now that her eyes quieted down. If we have more trouble, I'll ask about the NeoPolyDex, sounds like it could work well too.

It's good to hear that we're not alone on having trouble with this stuff.

So, for all those who have had trouble tolerating these medicines, what reaction did you notice?

Jim

Guest tampagreymom
So, for all those who have had trouble tolerating these medicines, what reaction did you notice?

Jim

My Jade had a reaction initially to Cyclosporin. The area in the corner of both eyes was red. I was told it was a reaction to the oil used by the pharmacy so now I ask for the "least reactive" oil to be used when getting the refills. She also gets Prednisolone on alternating days.