Post-surgery Anxiety/pain

Guest SusanP

This morning Zippy's doing well after her surgery. But yesterday was a different story. She seems to react badly to the meds they use during surgery (we know morphine causes anxiety reactions in her, but even when it isn't used, she acts crazy after surgery). She normally shakes and pants until evening.

She had surgery at around 9:30-10:30 am yesterday. She came home at 12:30 and was agitated, pacing wobbly around, panting, shaking, crying a lot. We always see some of that after surgery, and in fact the vets send her home early because they attribute much of the reaction to stress. But this was a bigger surgery and her reaction was worse. She didn't really settle and lie down consistently until about 5pm and didn't stop panting and crying til around 8pm.

The vet ok-ed some tramadol on top of the metacam and the morphine they gave her in surgery. That seemed to help some. They also suggested a heating pad set on low (with me right beside her the whole time) on the leg, not necessarily right on the surgical site, but around it. That too seemed to calm her, as did keeping the other dogs out of our bedroom, where she was, closing the door to noise, and my lying beside her.

All in all, it was a rough afternoon/evening.

Do your hounds react this way after surgery, and what comfort methods do you find most useful? I'd like to be prepared in the future.

Edited by SusanP

Sigh.

We are right there with you. The first 4 days after Polli's amputation were pretty rough. She spend virtually every night awake, standing and heavily panting moving from bed to bed.

Now that we are passed that phase, all she does is sleep. I think she is depressed.

All I can say is since the surgery was yesterday, give it more time. You know your dog better than anyone and what it takes to calm her.

This too shall pass.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

When Orion had his MH (malignant hyperthermia) episode during his dental a year and a half ago, he came home in a state. He was panting and salivating heavily, he had the shivers, and he wouldn't relax. His body was really warm to the touch.

We were given the option to take him home or to transport him to the evet for 24 hour observation. I chose to bring him home. The first couple hours at home, I was severely doubting my decision. But by 8 p.m. he finally settled down enough to relax and we all did get a good sleep.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Sometimes it is just the drugs used for surgery and pain management that can cause this. It eventually is flushed by the system and things settle down.

My Angel Molly always had a reaction to a Torbutrol Injection, pacing, pacing, panting,panting etc. But after a few hours things returned to normal.

Each animal can react differently to the same drug.

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

Guest HeatherDemps

I think the pain meds can have a big effect on dogs... after Dempsey's amputation, the Tramadol seemed to help with the pain, but he was restless and aggitated- lots of whining, up and down, etc.

Flashy does real bad with Morphine. It is now all over his chart that he can KNOT have morphine. Hoping things settle for your sweet girl soon. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Patricia, what do they used instead of Morphine? Because of Zippy's age and such, the vet felt she had to go with it.

What things comfort your hounds after surgery? The heating pad set on low and me beside her seemed to make a difference. Any other soothing tricks?

I for the life of me can not remember what they gave Flashy in place of Morphine. He came home on Metacam. Two years ago when he had his dental~he had Morphine pre-op and Morphine for pain right before he came home as he had some pretty big extractions. He had his dental at 9:00am and as soon as he woke he was thrashing and vocalizing and a vet tech had to stay with him in his crate so that he would not hurt himself. He then started running a temp. We finally were able to pick him up at 9:30 at night and he still could not stand and we had to carry him to the van and into the house. The vocalizing went on ALL night long...crying....barking...pacing and running into walls and it was horrible. Angel LaceyLaine had the same meds for her dental...no problems! His dental this Spring he also had extractions...no Morphine...we picked him up 3 hours later and he walked out and jumped into the van. Came in and wanted to eat and drink...he napped...he had his coordination and no vocalizing. He did VERY well. He has had 4 dentals and each one was horrible until this last one. He does not do well on Morphine.

I hope your sweet baby feels better real soon. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Morgan doesn't tolerate any opiate pain meds. They cause him to pant and pace. That includes morphine and tramadol. We use NSAIDS and/or Gabapentin (Neurotin) when he needs pain relief.