Poll About The Cancer

Guest myjazzy

Cancer in greys  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had a greyhound with cancer?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If so, how many of your hounds have had or have cancer?

• One
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four our more
  3. 3. If so, what type of cancer?

• Osteo
    • Lymphoma
    • Ohter

Ya, like someone else mentioned...I can't vote because I have not had a grey with cancer. Unfortunately this poll is gonna look like 100% did but that is in fact not true. Maybe start a new poll and ask the mods to delete this one?

Maybe start a new poll and ask the mods to delete this one?

That would be my suggestion as well. You are going to get answers from people who have had or currently have a grey with cancer, and not hear from those who are doing just fine. I am another who rarely visited this forum until Jamaica was diagnosed with spindle cell sarcoma. It would be interesting to see how the numbers add up when those not dealing with cancer chime in, and they won't if the poll is here.

Cancer sucks :angryfire

I totally agree. I was hoping to see some people who haven't had to deal with cancer answer the poll, but no one has so far. :sad1

I have not had a greyhound with cancer but can't vote because it will skew the results. Since I have a no I then have to choose how many have had and there is no zero option.

I wish I could say no, I have not had a grey lost to cancer, but I can't. We lost our first grey, my heart and soul puppy, our Angel, Vinnie. Diagnosed at 11 months with osteo - we did amp and two different types of chemo alternating every 3 weeks - unfortunately before his 3rd chemo I felt that something was off and asked for an xray - his entire right lung and more than 1/2 of his left lung had filled with mets - according to many Vinnie was the youngest and most aggressively lost to osteo - we walked him gently to the Bridge on his 14 month birthday. My heart still hurts and I watch both his sister and his cousin, our two babies Gracie and Gus, like a hawk.

Every day that another is diagnosed or lost my heart hurts more - but boy does it cheer for even the smallest of victories - like every day another celebrates beating cancer into submission or remission. Woohoo for current survivors Darcy, Asia, Morgan and so many others - and wahoo for those that have now passed that had cancer but passed from something else or who had beaten it into submission for a period of time like Dempsey and Foxy. And special prayers for those that are newly dealing with this like Polli and My heroes and inspiration come from the greys, their families and the doctors, vet techs, nurses and researchers that deal with this in any way.

I can't really answer your poll because I don't actually know if my Grey Scully had cancer. He had a blood filled tumour growing in his throat but he died during an operation to try to remove it and I did not have pathology done on it as there seemed no point, therefore I don't know if it was "cancerous".

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Angel LaceyLaine~Diagnosed with Lymphoma 9-4-07~Bridge Day 12-5-07 :(

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest K9_Lady
We lost Beatrice to hemangiosarcoma.

One day she was perfectly well, the next day, she was gone.

:(

:( I know...my Arco (Malinois) was fine that afternoon :grouphug

Guest jerrybird

I've been doubly blessed I guess. Two hounds, no cancer. My old lad was 12 1/2 (congestive heart failure & loss of use of hind legs). Then Jerry 9 yrs. of an undiagnosed neurological condition and complications of glaucoma.

I've had 5 hounds, 4 are still with me. My first boy Cody died, bled to death in my arms, the vet thinks he may have burst an anueryism. He was six.

We've been very fortunate here, I have 2 soon to be 11 year olds, and 2 - 8 year olds, and no cancer. However, 1 has a very suspicious swelling on his toe, he's going for an amputation of the toe on Wednesday. The only good thing about it is we know it's crossed the joint in his toe, so that means it's not OS.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest luvRgreys

I wish I could say we haven't experienced cancer in our greys, but sadly:

Buddy: to lyphmo-sarcoma of the gut

Cholla: do definite diagnosis, but rectal bleeding and fluid in the stomach and blood count so low vet was afraid she would bleed out, he was sure it was some form of cancer.

Slippers: Osteo

Smokey: Osteo

Bingo: mammary gland adeno-ca, mets to the heart/lung 1 year later

Lost them all at 11 years old, some just at 11 one 1 month short of 12 :weep:weep:weep

Makes me sick to read this list of my sweet fur kids, still miss them so much. Red and Greta are getting lots of hugs!! So many holes in my heart.

Guest longdogs

I think the poll has gone astray, because clearly not everyone with a greyhound has to deal with cancer. Those of us who have been through it are probably more motivated to respond.

• 6 months later...

I lost my Chloe to hemagiosarcoma at age 11 years 4 months.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

We lost Beatrice to hemangiosarcoma.

One day she was perfectly well, the next day, she was gone.

:(

:( I know...my Arco (Malinois) was fine that afternoon :grouphug

Same way with my Chloe. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pipi5

Gogh (male black 6 yrs old) had osteo sarcoma in left front leg.

Dear (male black 9 yrs old) had hemangio sarcoma

Bool (male black 7 yrs old) had hermangio sarcoma

My vet told me that Snowy may have had a brain tumor & that was causing her strokes, but she was also 13 1/2 yrs old.

Guest MnMDogs
Gogh (male black 6 yrs old) had osteo sarcoma in left front leg.

Dear (male black 9 yrs old) had hemangio sarcoma

Bool (male black 7 yrs old) had hermangio sarcoma

My vet told me that Snowy may have had a brain tumor & that was causing her strokes, but she was also 13 1/2 yrs old.

Gogh, Dear and Bool were so young :( I guess it doesn't matter - it will take them at 5 or 15.

Guest ss556

Alan to hemangio. He was fine, eating dinner at 6:30 p.m. - at 7:10 he couldn't stand up well. A few hours later he was gone. How terribly sudden.

Guest Got2Greys

Turbo - osteo 4/4/98-1/9/08

Blue - osteo 5/5/98-3/14/09

Lost both boys in 1 year and 4 months, biggest heartbreak in the world losing both to that horrible disease.

Guest GreytfullDad

To shed a little positive light on the subject, we have had 7 greyhounds and lost 3. None to osteo or cancer of any sort.

1. 12 yo female- possible bloat

2. 13+ yo female-heart attack

3. 13 yo female- LS and complications thereof

We still have 10 yo male, 7 yo female, 6 yo male and 3 yo female. No Current health issues.

I know that the trend is high for osteo but to the newbies I ask understanding that when people come to the Health and Med site it is usually because they are experiencing a problem and need answers. Some people have thru luck more than anything else been spared major medical situations and thus spend little or no time in this section unless a topic peaks their interest ( as this one did mine)

Hope that helps and my sympathy to all those who have had to deal with this tragedy or are currently doing so B):grouphug:f_red

Guest eaglflyt

Could the poll be modified just a bit in the last two questions to add a *not applicable* choice? As it is, if you haven't had a hound with cancer and don't answer the last two questions, your vote doesn't register. Thanks.