An Incontinence Update

Some of you might remember me posting as Grace started to have accidents more and more frequently. It was definitely incontinence as she'd wake up looking around, the clean her hiney and when she stood up the bed would be all wet. :( We discussed options with the vet and decided to try the supplements first, so I started ordering Resources Canine Incontinence pills from various online stores. I did that for maybe 6 months before moving. She'd occasionally still have an accident, but they were no where near as frequent as before. Since she was doing great I figured that I'd try weaning her off the meds to see if the incontinence really was the issues at hand. Sure was! Now that she's been off the pills for 3 weeks she's having accidents every other day, sometimes every day. After the first few days of accidents I immediately ordered a new bottle (actually I ordered three to see which would get her faster). So last night she started back with the incontinence pills and I'll keep everyone updated on her progress. Just thought those of you dealing with incontinence could benefit from my story. Moral: if the dog is not having accidents, it's 'cuz the meds are working. Don't stop. :rolleyes:

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest rubysdad
Some of you might remember me posting as Grace started to have accidents more and more frequently. It was definitely incontinence as she'd wake up looking around, the clean her hiney and when she stood up the bed would be all wet. :( We discussed options with the vet and decided to try the supplements first, so I started ordering Resources Canine Incontinence pills from various online stores. I did that for maybe 6 months before moving. She'd occasionally still have an accident, but they were no where near as frequent as before. Since she was doing great I figured that I'd try weaning her off the meds to see if the incontinence really was the issues at hand. Sure was! Now that she's been off the pills for 3 weeks she's having accidents every other day, sometimes every day. After the first few days of accidents I immediately ordered a new bottle (actually I ordered three to see which would get her faster). So last night she started back with the incontinence pills and I'll keep everyone updated on her progress. Just thought those of you dealing with incontinence could benefit from my story. Moral: if the dog is not having accidents, it's 'cuz the meds are working. Don't stop. :rolleyes:

Have you ever tryed estrogen for incontinence?

Have you ever tryed estrogen for incontinence?

We'd try meds if the supplements didn't work. They do....

Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

You can join me on the pee detective squad if you like!

:colgate

:ph34r Cool, it's like a secret society! Pee busters. LUCKILY, since it's true incontinence she leaks only when she's sleeping. It's either on the Costco dog bed or the comforter on the couch...both of which are disposable. (The things we do for the dogs we love...)

Guest TippyTy

Lauren-- glad to hear the supplements are working! Yay!

Question for you pee-squad detectives---

Have you ever heard of incontinence after exercise? After months of keeping a pee diary for Honey (I know, I know, I really need to get out more! :lol ), we've discovered that she's mostly leaking during post-zoomie naps. :huh Our vet had never heard of such a thing...

Guest rubysdad
Lauren-- glad to hear the supplements are working! Yay!

Question for you pee-squad detectives---

Have you ever heard of incontinence after exercise? After months of keeping a pee diary for Honey (I know, I know, I really need to get out more! :lol ), we've discovered that she's mostly leaking during post-zoomie naps. :huh Our vet had never heard of such a thing...

If your vet has never heard of incontinence after exercise, you may need a new vet. This is quite common.

Guest TippyTy
If your vet has never heard of incontinence after exercise, you may need a new vet. This is quite common.

Crap. I was afraid of that... :(

That's a pretty common condition with spayed females. There's a great med called Proin that will resolve that quickly.

So, incontinence after exercise is part of spay incontinence. Hmmm. I was trying to avoid the meds for fear of the side-effects...

Thanks for the input!