Right Front Paw, Rear Pad

Guest HutchKC

Guest HutchKC

Payton came up limping at the end of the trip to the dog park today. I took a look at the paw she was favoring (right-front) and found nothing. We came home, and I took a closer look in better light.

The best way I can describe this is that a piece of the rear pad on her right-front paw tore away. The area is about thumb-nail in size, and looks like it was a shallow layer, like a callas. There has been no blood and no complaining other than the limping, but she is getting around fine.

I will post a picture when I get my hands on a camera, but if anybody can give some advice on treatment based on my description, it would be much appreciated.

She might have had a corn or callus that got torn off while playing. Or she could have abraded her pad on something at the dog park. If it's not bleeding or raw or open-wound looking, I might just rub some soothing cream (neosporin or Bag Balm) on it and cover it with a sock for a bit so she doesn't lick it too much. If she's still limping tomorrow a vet trip might be needed to make sure she didn't injure something inside her foot.

Hope she feels better soon!

greysmom ;D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Arrow tore a little piece of his pad off on the pavement. I just keep it clean, as much as possible. It's growing back with no problems.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Cooper does this to himself all the time. He likes to run onto the deck, at top speed, and sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide to a stop just short of the glass patio door. He abrades his pads as a result.

The first time he did it, I dissolved Epsom salts in lukewarm water, and soaked his feet for a few minutes a day. Then I dried them, and applied a moisturizer (does not need to be medicated, but can be. Bg Balm works really well for this). Since then, we have had fewer problems, because his pads have toughened up.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

I wish I had a nickel for everytime my dogs have torn their pads. I wash the foot, use EMT Gel, give them a kiss on the nose and send them on their way.

Seriously, keep a watch and keep it clean. If the limping lasts for more than a couple days, then have your vet take a look.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11