Urinary Tract Woes

Guest JennaRN

Guest JennaRN

It appears that my Darla has some urinary issues brewing again. She was treated for a UTI successfully with antibiotics at the end of June. Today her symptoms are back (bloody urine, frequent squatting, peeing inside). I took her to the vet this evening, and her urine was positive for blood and WBC's. Her specific gravity was also low. They drew a CBC and BMP that have not resulted yet. They did an x-ray to check for bladder stones- negative. The vet wanted to get a urine sample to culture, but said they would need to anesthetize and insert a catheter to get the sterile specimen. Has anyone encountered that yet???? I told him I needed to think it over. He gave me a sterile container in case I wanted to get a clean catch myself- which I have decided that is the route we are going.

Anyone out there dealt with bladder stones?? Should I inquire about a bladder ultrasound in case they didnt show up on film??

I guess Im just very concerned and keep worrying about the BIG what-iffs (bladder tumor, renal failure). Maybe all this is is just a nasty UTI, because her symptoms went away several months ago with antibiotics?!?!?!?!

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I'm assuming you were sent home with some antibiotics to start with, until you can get a culture? If they didn't prescribe any, call them first thing in the morning and get either a prescription or a new vet.

Re specific gravity: The only urine sample that's truly useful for that is first-of-the-morning, when dog has not had access to water overnight. Otherwise, it's not very meaningful.

Not sure why your vet would anaesthetize and do a catheter. The easy way is to just insert a needle into the bladder from the outside and draw some off. Even my Zema doesn't have to be anaesthetized for that -- it's like a blood draw, that quick. My vet uses the ultrasound to guide the needle so they can ultrasound around the area a bit at the same time.

Vets like to get these really sterile samples because contamination can mess up the culture. But if you're good at getting a clean, midstream catch ... I can't see a reason not to culture that.

At this point, she could have a continuation of the old bladder infection, but if she's been fine up till now, it's more likely a new one. It happens.

Hugs and luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest JennaRN

Thanks.

Acutally we did not get any antibiotics tonight because we have not gotten the urine culture yet. I'm glad you mentioned the needle aspiration of the bladder...I do remember that being mentioned last time I was in. I appreciate the input!

I like to start on an antibiotic because the culture takes a couple days, and meanwhile doggie is in pain just as a person would be. Some vets like to start with the big guns (Baytril); others will start with something like cephalexin or with the last med that worked for the dog if there was a recent, previous UTI.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest lanielovesgreys

Here's hoping yours is easier than my dog's. I don't know WHAT is going on with him. Same symptoms.

Just out of curiosity, what do you feed her?

Someone reccomended Convenia for me. My vet said it's not as effective on male dogs as female. Anyway, might be something to try. Also, stones can be found by ultrasound, too. Sometimes not everything shows up on the xray.

I'll be following you and your Darla. :grouphug

Please keep us posted!

Edited by lanielovesgreys

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

If it seems like your girl is going to have issues with UTI's you might start her on Cranberry pills.

Here's some info on it

A letter published in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM, October 8, 1998, Vol. 339, No. 13) told of a 1994 research study which validated the claim that cranberry juice prevents UTI's, and clarified that it is not because of the acidic nature of the cranberry juice, nor because of the Vitamin C content. It is if fact due to specific compounds called condensed tannins (specifically proanthocyanidins) in cranberries, blueberries and other vaccinium fruit species which prevent the attachment of P-Fimbriated E.Coli to the walls of the urinary tract. P-Fimbriated E. Coli bacteria is a major culprit in UTI's.

Guest JennaRN

Yes, I will be starting Darla on the cranberry pills. I ended up getting a clean catch sample of urine. The vet put her on Ampicillin (worked with last UTI) until the culture came back. Today the vet's office called and said the culture came back and they will be switching her over to Baytril. Strangely enough the Ampicillin seemed to at least help Darla...she has been back to normal! We are counting on the Baytril to knock the infection out completely.

In response to a previous post, Darla has been on Nutro Natural Choice lamb and rice kibble. It is just strange that this year (she is 5) these UTI's have been popping up. Guess we should be investing in a good steam vac...and crossing our fingers!

What Batmom said. I've never heard of a vet suggesting anesthesia to draw urine.

Once you've got this figured out, my dog, who has some mystery infection for a long, long time, you might ask your vet about a supplement called CranVet. I've been told to give them to George "long term." Helps to keep bacteria from "sticking" (I'm sure that's a wild oversymplification, but...he likes them, they're short money, and I don't want to go through what I went through ever again if I can help it!).

Good luck.

Oh--I did a clean catch for George. Wasn't easy, but I did it. I actually made a pee cup holder out of a coat hanger so I could just casually stick it under the "faucet" while he was peeing without sticking my hand inside the cup!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest BaileyLou

This thread caught my eye and I've watched it to check the outcome....I'm in the same boat and need some advice too.

How is Darla? Did the antibiotics work for her? I sure hope you have very good news to share!!!!

My Bailey was on 3 rounds of antibiotics (3 different ones) and had a bladder xray (no stones) before the culture showed she needed Zeniquin. She just finished that round last night and I dropped off a urine sample this morning. I've seen some improvement but she is not 100% yet (definitely still has blood in her urine) so I expect to keep her on the meds for one more round.

Also, I took the advice and use filtered water only but I am open to any advice.