Here We Go Again...

Guest Bethroze

Guest Bethroze

Blackberry started showing more ribs again. I just took her temperature and it is at 103.9. :( She did this a few weeks ago and the vet put her on antibiotic for ten days. The fever broke and I got her to gain some weight back. Now we are back to square one. Her ears are constantly twitching but he said that he saw nothing wrong with them. They did a check for worms and a blood test. All negative.... :o

Should I try my other vet? or do I go back to the same one and tell them they didn't fix the problem? I took her to a vet close by this last time because my normal vet is not open on Wednesday.

Any thoughts? :huh

Has the vet considered a tick disease? That would be my first thought.

tick disease info

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

What are her blood cell counts? Dear lost weight & had a high temp...not to scare you, but I know you want to know the truth of what's going on. Dear quit eating, wouldn't even come in the kitchen...his temp was 100 at first, then on up to 103...blood cell count was 90,000 vs 10,000. He had a tumor on his liver...so please have everything checked! AND get a second opinion if you're not happy with this one.

Definitely check for tick borne diseases. Jed has ehrlichia and when he has an episode, there's always a fever spike.

Hope you get some answers soon so you can get your pup treated. :)

Daisy & Eli, the crazy hounds, and Bella & Zoe, the curly kitties,
and Jed (10.30.98 - 11.28.08) & Ripple (3.25.99 - 8.20.09) together again at the bridge
with Cleo-Kitty (10.8.1988 - 7.26.2007) always in my heart.

Guest Bethroze

Of course, this morning she does not feel like she is running a fever, (haven't used the therm though). I called and have a 10:30am appointment.

Another TBD test recommendation, preferably a full panel through NC State. I'd also second the CBC as well.

As an aside - my sister lives in Warner Robins and I was born in Dublin :)

Oh, what was the antibiotic your vet put your pup on before?

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest Bethroze

Okay, for the ears; very long hairs growing deep in the ear canal. We are trying Otisooth which seem to help once before.

Her fever was up, so no Borditello vaccine today. She might be going camping with us whether daddy wants her too or not. We are trying Orbax 6.8mg for seven days. We go back Monday, and if things are no better, we go for more blood work. She does have some build up on her teeth, so they mentioned bacteria infection stemming from that...

In the process of me trying to get more weight on her 67 pound small frame. Her brother has gained up to 105 pounds. Yikes! I think I will have to feed them separate for a while. :o

Guest Bethroze

Found the bill from Blackberry's last exam before this morning's:

Injection of Aquacillin

Complete Blood Count

General Health Profile 12 TEST

20 Cephalexin 250mg pills.

Do her lymphnodes seem swollen? Does she have diarrhea? My Sierra had symptoms of diarrhea, anorexia and no appetitie. It was treated as diarrhea and IBS until she presented with swollen lymph nodes, significant weight loss, fever, lethargic and no appetite.

My vet then did a cystology, in additon to her complete blood work up. The cystology came back as histoplasmosis (fungal disease), but they were leaning towards a TBV or lymphoma.

Get a second opinion if they aren't finding anything. Fever is a sign of infection usually.

Good thoughts for your Blackberry.