Sierra Has No Appetite

Sierra has histo which I posted last week. She has been on itraconazole for a week. She was doing amazing up until yesterday. She is not interested in the FreshPet Selects anymore (which I know she is not feeling good), her canned food or even boiled chicken. I was worried since she didn't eat at all yesterday so I gave her a turkey neck. She ate it. I offered her turkey breast lunch meat and she ate this. I also tried some baby food that was given to me for her. She also ate that. I am up getting ready for work and I always try to get a small meal in Sierra before I leave. This morning I cooked her scamble eggs after she didn't want her FreshPet or anything I tried. :( . I am going to be worried all day while I am work.

She might need to go see her vet tonight, she seems as if she is congested and has drainage dried in her little eye corners.

Any suggestions on what anyone has tried to feed a hound that won't eat are greytly appreciated.

Edited by stlgrey

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LokisMom

I don't know what she can have but ours never turn down green tripe.

Parmesan tends to have a distinct smell that can help to entice them.

Ours also really like fish and I have read that canned cat food often works.

Guest HeatherDemps

When Dempsey was going through chemo, it affected his appetite significantly. We had meds that were prescribed that helped with tummy upset and also used Pepcid AC. He was also prescribed Cernia to stimulate his appetite and one of those always worked.

Lots of prayers for this girl. If you have the Nutritional Yeast and haven't tried this, let her get a taste of it from your hand, that may help. Please update when you can.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Were going to try some of the Solid Gold Green Tripe food tonight. That should be a good time to mix in some of the NY. When she feels bad, so do I.

Let us know how it goes with the tripe. I know how hard it is...Angel Cody...Queenie...and LaceyLaine went through this through their illnesses and you just feel so helpless. Sending my prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Try a peanut butter sandwich. It works for Sadie now when other things won't. I don't put jelly on it, just a tablespoon or so of peanut butter. I've also found that many days she won't eat a lot of boiled chicken, but she loves rice/barley cooked in the chicken broth.

You might also want to cook some sweet potatoes to see if she'll eat those.

Green tripe, sardines (or even just the water poured over something you want her to eat), etc...

Good luck!

Guest lanielovesgreys

Schumi likes the canned food. A lot of foods have a canned version. They also love any kind of raw food. Chicken quarters. It's like chicken soup for sick dogs, in my house.

Were going to try some of the Solid Gold Green Tripe food tonight. That should be a good time to mix in some of the NY. When she feels bad, so do I.

PLEASE let us know how you make out, I'll be thinking about her. Just a side note, with NY, you shouldn't have to disguise it, if they can just get a taste of it, "usually" they love it.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

I bought some Solid Gold Green Tripe canned at lunch. I went home to check on her. I gave her a benedryl tablet to help her "respiratory" symptoms per the vet. She threw up her turkey lunch meat from this morning. I opened the can of tripe and gave her a spoonful. SHE LIKED IT. I will try to get her to eat some with blendered kibble mixed in tonight. Thanks for all of your suggestions. Boy does that stuff smell :eek

I got my NY at Whole Foods. Is there another brand that is maybe more attractive to give dogs. I can taste a bland flavor to the stuff I bought. I started to put it in my food since I don't get enough vitamins and things. So its not going to waste.

I'll point Xan in this direction, I think she can answer this best. The one I have has a cheesy flavor to it

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

As directed, here I am :P but I don't know if I can be too much help. My picky eater won't eat NY either, but if you can get her to eat some, it might stimulate her appetite to eat more whatever else you give her. As Burpdog says, it's the vit. B12 in it that's so good for the appetite. NY is also really good to help the system heal and to counteract side effects of illness and stress.

As for brands, you're looking for "Vegetarian Support", which is the one that has the B12. It's manufactured by Red Star, but it may go under another name. It should be sort of dull gold in color, and have a toasty, cheesy taste and smell.

Did you try it with the tripe?

Best of luck, with all the suggestions (like the peanut butter sandwich idea, too!) Hopefully, she just needs some antibiotics for her "cold", and will feel her old self in no time! Let us know how it goes, and what works for you!

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest JarBear

I can usually get reluctant fosters to eat by adding some vanilla Ensure to their food. Sometimes they don't eat all the food but they drink all the Ensure.

They might have this at WF. I got their bulk kind and it looks nothing like this Red Star brand.

Let me know as soon as you can IF you can't get it. I have an overnight source

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

A small healthfood store my me has it. I will get it on the way home tonight. I will hopefully have a hungry hound when I get home tonight.

Great!! Let us know how she does

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

The NY at this store was way different tasting than that stuff from WF. WF was bitter. I managed to mix in about a tablespoon in some dry kibble and some yummy green tripe canned. I blended it all up and she ate about a cup.

I tried about an hour later and put a dalop of baby food on it, she ate a bit more. At least she has some good nutrition in her now. I am keeping a positive outlook and going to add babyfood on my shopping list.

The NY at this store was way different tasting than that stuff from WF. WF was bitter. I managed to mix in about a tablespoon in some dry kibble and some yummy green tripe canned. I blended it all up and she ate about a cup.

I tried about an hour later and put a dalop of baby food on it, she ate a bit more. At least she has some good nutrition in her now. I am keeping a positive outlook and going to add babyfood on my shopping list.

I've been so anxious to hear this update. That's great that she ate. I think if you get enough of that NY in her, it'll really pick up her appetite with all the B vitamins in it. I'm still using it with Misty, and when she sees me go for that can, she wants it big time!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Sierra's vet called tonight and prescribed an antibiotic for her in case she has a respiratory infection secondary to the histo. We had two successful meals tonight :colgate! I pan fried a turkey burger for her and she loved that. She ate around the rice as I would expect. She had another helping of the dish that was previous eaten (grounded up kibble/green trip). I feel so much better that she has eaten. She was looking for food tonight which is a good thing. Her vet also said I could give her a Pepcid tablet in case this is all due to her medication making her stomach upset. We both got a big heaping spoonful of NY in our dinners tonight. She seems to be feeling better than she did over the last 48 hours. I think I will be adding the turkey burgers to the menu as well. Her vet wants me to give an update on Friday on how she is doing.

Edited by stlgrey