Nikki's Tail

Guest whatahound

Guest whatahound

Last night I decided to take all three hounds with me to the kennel to do turnout. As I was trying to get all of them in the front door the door slipped out of my hand and Nikki's tail got shut in, she screamed and I opened the door. It did bleed, and I don't think it is broken.

Would I be able to tell if it requires a vet visit?

I feel really bad..... :sad1

Guest Che_mar_Cody

You're not the first and won't be the last. I know I've done this with Cody's (in the car door) and it bleed. At least it wasn't a full slam, like you it just slipped and went shut and I felt just horrible as well. There was no bone showing, so I just keep it clean and put neosporin on it until it healed.

I know there's a few pictures of broken tails on here...I looked at all of them and it really helped me decide if I needed to go or not and they gave some greyt advice. (Just search broken tails)

Of course, when in doubt see a vet..you'll feel more comfortable.

Edited by Che_mar_Cody

Is she a big tail wagger? Neither of mine are...but I'd be a bit more concerned if yours is. I hope she's okay!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Don't feel too bad (I know it's easier said than done.) A few months after we adopted Merlin, we had stopped the car in my in-laws' driveway and DH inadvertently closed the electric windows in the back without checking first, and Merlin's tail was caught in one of them. Scream, blood everywhere, etc... we rushed to the e-vet and he got stitches. Of course DH felt TERRIBLE and now we always check before we close a door or any car window. But it can happen to anyone, it could have been me that time.

Is her tail still bleeding?

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest whatahound
Is her tail still bleeding?

I cleaned it really well last night when we got home. I put some EMT jel on it this morning before I left for work. It had stopped bleeding. I did get " the look" from Nikki, like I can't believe you did this to me. :huh

I would get some foam pipe insulation, a hair curler, or a syrine with the plunger removed, and wrap it, if she wags a lot. And make sure you wrap for at least a week after you think it's healed, just to make sure. Tails can be a real PITA to heal, and their low blood supply makes it tougher. Sometimes a small, nondescript wound can result in a lot of trouble.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.