Greyhound, Tapeworms, And Droncit

Guest hvacman250

Guest hvacman250

Noticed tapeworms in Zaniers (83 lb male, 5 yrs old) poop yesterday. I called our Greyhound rescue group owner and she said she would mail me 4 pills to take all at once.

To save her some trouble, I called my future bro-in-law. His mom is a vet tech, but NOT Grey savvy. I told her what the Greyhound lady said, and she sent me 5 Droncit pills (to take all at once)

Im withholding them until I hear they are safe for Greys. They were free, but I want to be 100% sure its Grey safe.

TIA

Guest hvacman250

Greyhound coordinator called. She said its not what she was going to send me, but about the same thing. I thought this could come in handy to someone else one day.

VTW, hes on Frontline and Interceptor. Should he have gotten tapeworms?

Droncit is grey-safe. I've used it for fosters several times. Dogs get tapeworms by ingesting infected fleas, but you won't notice them in the stool immediately. I can't remember the timeline off the top of my head. Unless he currently has fleas, this treatment should be all he needs. Good luck!

Oh, yeah. I should warn you that sometimes when the nasty thing dies, it may come out either end. It's not really pleasant, but don't be surprised.

Just went through this today with Miss Pudge le mutt.

She has tapeworms and she has always been on Sentinel. Sentinel doesn't kill fleas (that's where the tapeworms come from) it just stops fleas from making more fleas.

Anyway, the vet gave me one Iverhart pill to kill the tapeworms ($6) instead of the much more expensive Drontal ($40).

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Timmy had tapeworms when I first got him too. Moved him from sentinal to Intercepter when I got him and have no problems since. Tell Zanier to feel better soon. *hugs Zanier*

Oh...I saw your pictures but it would not let me PM you so I left my email addy on the picnic post for you. Thanks again. :)

Guest hvacman250

This medicine was free :) Im glad it was indeed Grey safe. Free is good, especially after 9 stitches to his leg last week.

And he feels and acts fine. We just noticed them in his poo Sunday morning. He was supposedly on Frontline and Interceptor when we adopted him, and I continued his 1st of the month treatment.

Guest LindsaySF

He probably picked up the tapeworms before he was put on the Frontline and Interceptor. It takes a while for the worms to develop and start shedding segments in the stool. ;)

Flower also had tapeworms when I got her (2 weeks ago). The adoption kennel gave me 4 pills (I think she said Droncit??), and told me to give her 2 now and the other 2 in 2 weeks. I wonder why my instructions were different?? Maybe I should check with them to see if it was, in fact, Droncit. <_<

Guest paulamariez

Tiger had tapeworms and took the Droncit. No problems. Never did see anything come out the other end though. (thankfully! that may have been a bit gross!) Our vet said not to expect to see anything.

Guest LindsaySF

Usually the medicine kills and dissolves the worms, so you won't see anything come out. I was kind of (morbidly) hoping I would see the worms when Teagan had them. :lol

Timmy had tapeworms when I first got him too. Moved him from sentinal to Intercepter when I got him and have no problems since. Tell Zanier to feel better soon. *hugs Zanier*

Oh...I saw your pictures but it would not let me PM you so I left my email addy on the picnic post for you. Thanks again. :)

Just FYI, Interceptor doesn't control tapes, just hooks, whips, giardia, and of course heartworm. Not sure why Timmy has no more tapes unless he had Droncit, Drontal, or Strongid too. :dunno (I became an expert on the subject while dealing with our very wormy puppy a couple of months ago. :rolleyes:)

Marcia in SC