Possible Round Or Hookworms?

stlgrey

I thought I was going to be sick. This was so disgusting. Ali came running inside and had a "string poop" still attached. I had to remove it with a paper towel. I was almost puking so I didn't get a good look at the 'string'. I have noticed some dried stools in the yard lately that look like dried string or long (6 inch or so) fibers. I didn't think nothing of it until tonight.

Is this a possible worm infestation? Ali is a known poop eater. I haven't seen any live worms in her stools. Sorry this was such a gross post, but sometimes need to give details to find some help. Thanks.

Guest longdogs

It sounds more like grass or something. Adult worms don't get passed unless they are zapped with a wormer. Hook and roundworm eggs are hard to spot without a microscope (not stringy) and tape segments are usually compared to rice grains. If you are worried it won't hurt to use a wormer. Worming should be done regularly anyway.

These aren't eggs, but looked like actual dead roundworms being pooped out. I just looked at some images of them online, gross they look like spaghetti and can be seen in the poop.

My dogs take regular Heartgard which doesn't protect against hook or roundworms. I did get a box of pyantrel (sp?) to treat her with just in case. I will also take a sample into the vet. Most things don't gross me out, but this sure does.

Guest longdogs

If there are actual roundworms being passed your dog must have a heavy infestation. Remember they can infect humans too, so be extra careful to clear up poop. A dose or two of Drontal will deal with it.

It sounds like roundworms. I watched a big clump extrude from Roo when she was a little puppy. :puke Apparently a mother dog can pass them onto their puppies. Roo must have been heavily infested to have that many. The vet gave us Drontal.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

• 2 weeks later...

My son has a dog that was dx with roundworms a few months ago, vet gave him a one dose treatment and NO followup :o so last week there was a nice poop full of roundworms again. Anyone have good advice on actually getting rid of them? Vet had apparently relied on Heartguard Plus to take care of any new ones but it didn't :angry:

anne