Track Injured Hounds

Guest Downtownhoundz

Guest tricolorhounds

These are my broken leg dogs... The white dog, Savannah was 4 1/2 and had a very very nasty break that required several surguries and months worth fo antibiotics for the bone infection. The red dog, Bonkers had just turned 4 and only required splinting. As you can see, they love to play. Savannahs goal in life is to get her brothers to run so she can chase them.

aItsmine.jpg

Edited by tricolorhounds

Guest MomoftheFuzzy

Speck has been with me since 2002 and, in that whole time, we've only had one issue thus far where it was inconclusive whether or not it was due to "an old track injury," as the vet put it. He basically hopped up on a small hillside patch of ivy in our old DC neighborhood (he's part kangaroo, don't ya know) and hopped down. This is how we assume he injured his back right leg but perhaps (or perhaps not) it was aggravating an old injury from his past.

Overall, these hounds seem to be remarkable in terms of their healing strength.

I'll use Snowy as an example. She broke her right hind hock severely...lets just say the track vet had the needle ready when they brought her off the track...she had 3 operations & nothing slowed her down. She jumped up in a top crate when boarded, she jumped over baby gates when shut off from the rest of the house, she climbed up on my kitchen table when she wanted anything! She was nosey as all get out & loved to counter surf.

She had a stroke in November 2007 & tried to walk the next day...by the 2nd day she was walking & standing w/out assistance. She had another stroke in March 2008 & she kept right on going.

Her age, 13 1/2 and the weakness she had later in May is what got her but until the end, she was determined to stand & walk on her own.

Gabriel had an injury to one of his front "wrists". Sorry but I can't remember which one. He was put on rest for 6-8 weeks and then brought back to race. He didn't do well and was taken off the track soon after.

His injury would show up semi-regularly. For a few days, he would get some Rimadyl and stay off it except for mild walking.

Even though the problem was recurrent, I wouldn't have traded him for the world. An injury is just an injury. A loving relationship with your dog is a blessing. Not much of a no-brainer, huh?

I have two broken leg dogs - neither has had any real difficulties.

You know, dogs don't come with a guarantee. The most perfect physical speciman can break a leg in your back yard. Or get some terrible disease. Life is full of risk and I accept that as part of being a guardian for my greyhounds. I chose them because I loved them and pray they will live long healthy lives.

I understand your concerns, but in most cases broken leg dogs do just fine.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Does this amaze anyone at how many broken legs there are in racing dogs? Maybe something should be done to pervent this.

My tanner broke his hock in training. The trainer put him in a crate for two weeks without any medical attention. Needless to say his leg has had lots of problems. Very stiff in the morning and a bad limp all the time. :angryfire:angryfire:angryfire

Ankles are arguably the most vulnerable structure of any runner (human, canine, equine). In humans, a fair case could be made for the knee, I guess, but my money's still on the ankle. I'm not sure that there's much more that can be done to prevent injury than running on groomed sand.

My own broken legged boy was a bit different- he broke his front leg while lure coursing.... he hit a hole, the foot stayed put and the rest of him kept going. His leg looks odd, and he's got a bit of a limp, but it doesn't slow him down or keep him from his favorite pasttime, countersurfing.

Lynn

We adopted Daisy last Christmas, she had broken her back right leg June last year and they had to put a metal plate with 7 screws in it, when we got her they told us the plate would have to stay. She's been very good with us so far, she runs like crazy in the back yard, but still limps or hops sometimes, and fortunately she doesn't try to jump in the house since we have tile floor.

Anyway, this past Sunday my husband noticed a small puncture on her leg, on the area where the plate was and I took her to the doctor yesterday, at first they thought it was a screw coming out and when they were going to remove it they noticed it was actually the edge of the plate, so they removed the plate. She's all bandaged and on medication for now, but I'm sure she'll be fine.

In any case, dogs with broken legs can be also great dogs, just keep in mind that any complications or issues might cost you some money, so if you can't afford it maybe you'd want something that may require less maintenance. We love our Daisy so I tried not to worry about the bill until she was done.

Guest greytful4
This is the boy I'm wondering about....

Anybody know anything about him other than he's Be-Yoo-Ti-Ful!!!!!!!! :blush

I know that Creed and Ester are great-great grandchildren of Downing!!! :)

What are you waiting for? Go fetch! :gh_runner

(where is Creed located?)

~Pat :)

He is indeed a handsome houndie and I did inquire about him,but was told he has a family interested in him and I also am part of another adoption group and apprently you can't belong to two groups so I'll leave it at that. :colgate

Who says you can't adopt from two groups? We have volunteers who work with other adoption groups in the area as foster homes and are also adopters. It's possible in this area. Of course going to a new group does mean a brand new screening process but it also means another group of friends.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Hi!

Broken legged foster mommy here weighing in! My Erin, my first foster and first failed foster at that, came to our group with a horrific broken leg. Doctor wasn't sure she would keep the leg even after a succesful surgery (lots of splintered and broken bone was removed), well the wonderful surgeon managed to keep the leg and Erin is 3 years post recovery and

F I N E and F A S T on the three legs she uses 100%, her fourth leg is more like a kickstand on a bike, there if she needs it. She is on a daily supplement just for added measure as is my senior at 9 to help those tired and aching joints and bones!

I have fostered 6 more broken leg dogs with a variety of breaks and ages and am happy to report all are fine, healthy and leading wonderful retired lives!

Please don't let an injury of this nature steer you away from a dog you would potentially and otherwise not have a moments thought about. I think it is great that you asked for advice though! The current foster family will be able to give you all the answers you need concerning this fellow and how he is progressing with his recovery! Feel free to PM me with any further questions.

Good luck!

Warmly,

Lori

Guest greydogluvr
This is the boy I'm wondering about....

Anybody know anything about him other than he's Be-Yoo-Ti-Ful!!!!!!!! :blush

He is beautiful. Sharon Williams was the same owner that my Cake came from. I also have a senior Broodie with a repaired hock. Years later, when up for adoption she had an infection in the bone and the hardware was removed. After a loooong bout of antibiotics she has had no additional issues. She has some lumps, bumps and scars on her hock which add to her beauty. Good luck with your decision.