Crate Survey

Guest LindsaySF

Greyhound Crate Survey  

272 members have voted

1. 1. What is the size of the crate (inches)?

• 24L x 18W x 19H
    • 30L x 19W x 21H
    • 36L x 23W x 25H
    • 42L x 28W x 30H
    • 48L x 30W x 33H
    • 54L X 35W X 45H
    • Other (please explain)
  2. 2. What type of crate is it?

• Wire bars with plastic or metal pan
    • Plastic Vari-Kennel or travel-type crate with Wire Door
    • Canvas or Mesh Soft-Sided Travel Crate
    • Rattan with Wire
    • Other (please explain)
  3. 3. Where is the crate located?

• Living Room / Family Room
    • Dining Room
    • Kitchen
    • Bedroom
    • Basement
    • Other (please explain)

Never used a crate for Navigator and never bothered to even get one before he came to live with me. Luckily for me, he was a GEM from day one. (No issues.) I never used a crate for my collie either. He was a PRINCE of a gentleman too.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LindsaySF

A question for everyone that is voting. Do you know the height of the crates you are using? Not every 48" crate is the same height, for example. I was reminded of this by someone today.

The 48" crates I have are 35" tall, but the choice I included in the poll is 33"H. Some 48"L crates are only 32"H. They seem to be making them smaller and smaller!

For a tall breed of dog like a Greyhound, the height of the crate is a very important measurement.

Guest ProudGreyMom

No crates used here. I baby-gate them in the kitchen with an extra-tall, walk-thru gate. That way they can be confined yet have room to play, move, drink, sleep in the same bed together if wanted etc.

We tried crates for all three and it was a no-go for various reasons.

My crate, when I was crating, was actually 36" high, which I think is best for bigger boys like mine. Our group advises that the crate should be in the most active room in the home, which for us was the living room and that's how I crate the occasional foster that I have.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest Morgaynn

Umm I goofed the poll- SORT OF... For Nike I have a 48L wire crate... For Rock- You'll laugh-- A rabbit Cage is his crate.... Nike is crated when both DH and I are gone.. when shes stressed (during bad weather seems to be the norm) she'll hide out there ONLY if I cover it with one of her blankies and a towel draped over the opening. Rock is "crated" at bedtime and when no one is home. Yes, I said his crate is a Rabbit Cage.. Rock is an 8yr old chihuahua who tends to mark... The rabbit cage while is too large for an actual crate for a dog his size, provides us easy cleaning when he decides its time to lift his leg. It als gives him room to find another corner to lay down. Both crates are in the family room. I plan on buying a plastic crate for Nike rather than the wire one, since she prefers to have that den like experience in her crate, and the wire crate is on loan ;)

I have 3 that are 38 inches high because Arrow, Saint and Valentino are really tall. The rest are 36 inches high.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I voted wire, 48L x 30W x 33H. We have it in our bedroom and keep the door open all the time. Sherri prefers to

sleep in there at night to be near us, even though she could choose to lay on one of her beds.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest DeborahL

No cates used here. I baby gate Morgan in the spare room at night with free access to this space thru the day to escape from the kids. We tried when he first arrived to give him access to the house thru the night but he paced for hours and after day three the baby gate did the trick and we don't hear a peep out of him until well after the girls are up and in front of the T.V.

• 2 months later...
I know that many people choose not to crate at all, but it wouldn't let me have more than 3 questions in the poll. :P

That's okay Lindsey. We can use "other" and then say NO CRATES!! :lol

Jenn

ETA: I guess a few people already did.

Edited by jenn8
gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg

Where's the "all of the above" option? :lol

We own the plastic vari-kennel (I believe it's a 700?), the mesh, soft sided "travel" crates (48"x36") and the wire crates (48"x33?").

We have them set up in the bedroom and the living room.

Our first grey preferred the vari-kennel - liked his privacy, I guess. That was in the bedroom at the time.

My senior looooves her soft-sided crate. We have two, one in the bedroom, one in the living room.

One is in the wire crate during the day, and fosters use the second wire crate. They are both in the living room.

I only have one that doesn't need (or want) to be crated, and she gets to roam free and taunt the others. :lol

Edited by BauersMom

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

I've used my crates each time I've gotten a new dog or foster.until they settle in ..usually take them down after awhile- not using now. I use baby gates in dorrways and that works fine. My gus stay down in the fam room all day when I'm gone-baby gate at the foot of the stairs

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CampWhippet

I have 10 crates that line the walls around my dining room/kitchen table. 3 greyhound kennels (2 are the huge wire and one is the hugest Vari-kennel they make). Then I have 2 wire crates that work for female greyhounds and 5 whippet-sized crates. I feed all but one dog(Kent) in a crate here.

I did have a crate set up for Cookie, but not anymore. I put other- folded up in the basement. She graduated!! Still have a crate set up for my dachie b/c he is a bad boy when I leave him out while I'm gone. :shakefinger

A 48in crate takes up a lot of room in a townhouse.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

It's 33 in in height. I probably should have gotten her a taller one, but i never even thought about looking at that measurement at the time.

I didn't realize they had 54 in crates until a month ago or so- kinda wished I could have bought that instead, but oh well. Actually I wished I had waited longer to buy one- b/c then I wouldn't have needed to buy one, just use the loaner until I could trust her out of the crate. At the time, I thought crating would be necessary for a long time.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

I have only the 48" crates and they're all at least 33" high. 1 in the kitchen, 1 in the dining room, 1 in the office, one in the hallway outside of the office.

My old guy (13) is not reliably continent at this point so I just started crating him again when I can't watch him and while I'm gone. The new girl (3) will get into whatever mischief she can if not supervised or crated, so she's in a crate whenever I can't watch her. The 6 yo loves the crates and often uses them for naps but is left uncrated when I'm not home.

While all of my dogs (except the new girl) have transitioned out of the crates at some point, I still see value in keeping them crate trained as it will be so much easier for them (less stress) if they need to be crated for a long period after surgery, or stay in a kennel, at the vets, or in someone else's home. So the crates will never be put away in my house. They're just dog beds with walls :)

Edited by Cynthia

I use the 48x33x30 wire crate...we have two dogs and the only time we crate is when we leave them alone for any extended period of time...Dessi goes in the crate which is kept in the breakfast nook off the kitchen and Mac is baby gated loose in the same room with a pad to lay down on next to the crate...they are left loose in the house for short periods of time ...up to an hour...and they sleep on pads next to our bed at night...(well usually.. they've been known to jump up in the bed in the wee hours of the night)

Dogs and small children are the only people I really get along with....MacDaddy

• 3 weeks later...

I've always regarded the crate as the dog's special place ("go to your room"), and leave the door open almost all the time, only expecting them to stay there during dinner. Otherwise, the dogs go in and out. But it's also there when there is a special need, like a visiting dog, a repairman afraid of dogs, if we are away for an extra long time, and most infrequently for remedial house training. They are in the main living area of the house where the dogs can see nearly everything, and especially, each other.

Ringo has "graduated" from his 48" crate, for the most part. When we are at work, he is gated in the kitchen and he has run of the house when we are home (but we still have to be able to keep an eye on him. Yesterday he left a pile on my dining room oriental rug when I was out scooping the backyard :ohno . At night, he sleeps on his bed on the floor in our bedroom. We only use the crate now if he refuses to go out for his turnout before we go to work.

Mom to:

Littermates Ringo (Pak Sgt Pepper)at the bridge, Paul (Pak Penny Lane) and John (Pak Let it Be). The three reunited Beatle Brothers.

Guest NewGreyOwner

We got the 48" tall crate for Connor. We use it when both Ross and I are going to be gone, but when either of us is home with him, he has the run of the house. We would like to eventually leave him loose when we're gone, and that is what we're working toward. We will probably try using baby gates for a while before we give him free rein while we're gone. He doesn't usually go into his crate unless we're kenneling him up.....

Guest Bethf03

The 42x30 is a good size for Unilqe, she is on the smaller size and she has plenty of room in there to sleep, roach, move around. the travel crate I bought is good for traveling. enough to room for her to stand up in, and sleep comfortable, altho I used it at Christmas, I put her in it while me and mother went away for part of the day. she broke out of it. broke the zipper part and got out. Thats my Unique :haha

IMG_0972.jpg