Just A Reminder For Rawhide Eaters

RobinM

If you give your pups rawhide or anything like it, please make sure you never let them eat them unsupervised.

Teddy had his acupunture this evening and the vet was telling us of a dog that died. The owners came home from work to find their normally happy, healthy pup dead. No one could figure out what he could have died from so they did an autopsy and they found that the poor thing suffocated to death while chewing on it's rawhide. The rawhide was stuck in it's trachea.

Please, as tempting as it is to leave rawhide to occupy your pup while you are away, don't.

Leave a stuffed kong instead. Only give rawhide type products when you are there to supervise. If they need you to help them, you will be right there for them.

Rest in peace pup.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest SoulsMom

Archie (non-grey) has almost choked to death on rawhide. I had to pull it out of his throat. No rawhide in my house since then . . .

Thanks for the reminder :thumbs-up

No rawhide here, ever, and no treats except frozen kongs when we're not home. Thanks for the reminder.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Archie (non-grey) has almost choked to death on rawhide. I had to pull it out of his throat. No rawhide in my house since then . . .

Thanks for the reminder :thumbs-up

I went through the same thing. No rawhide in the house for 15 years after that incident. Then we got our third puppy; she gets it now and then when she needs to do heavy-duty chewing b/c of teething. I'm right there though, and if it gets close to swallowing size, in the trash it goes!

Marcia in SC

What are the problems with rawhide chews?

If you give your pups rawhide or anything like it, please make sure you never let them eat them unsupervised.

the poor thing suffocated to death while chewing on it's rawhide. The rawhide was stuck in it's trachea.

Rest in peace pup.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Thanks so Much for posting this, we almost lost our Champ before he went to the bridge because a raw hide got stuck in his throat, I would never ever again buy them, thank god we were home and my dh was able to get it out, but it was stuck real bad.

Edit: Our Champ was our first grey and bless his heart he was a learning tool too.

Edited by 4greyhounds

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest VelvetEars

The same goes for smoked bones, even if they're from the pet food aisle. That's how Jane died. She horked up most of the bone that she ate, but part of it was lodged where her stomach empties into the bowel. What she horked up was all splinters and bloody foam.

Good reminder! We rarely have rawhides here anymore, but when we do, when it gets small enough that they can have the whole thing in their mouth, it gets taken away.

My kids prefer pig's ears, but they don't get those very often either because they're STINKY!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest LindsaySF

Even if your dog ends up swallowing the rawhide ok, it can expand and cause stomach or intestinal obstructions. Cooked and smoked bones can splinter and cause problems. I use shank bones for the dogs, with treats stuffed inside, but they get taken away if they appear to be splintering.

What are the problems with rawhide chews?

the poor thing suffocated to death while chewing on it's rawhide. The rawhide was stuck in it's trachea.

Rest in peace pup.

Yes i got that bit, i can read :lol I mean't in general what are the problems with rawhide chewas as it seems like lots of people on GT choose not to give them to their dogs but when you go into pet stores there are always shelfs of the stuff. :unsure Hmm i should of just said that instead.

Edited by moofie

Moofie- I'm sorry, I am not really sure what your question is. The problems "in general" are exactly what's stated. They are on the shelves in petstores and cigarettes are on the shelves in convinece stores, but that too is not good for you. Same analogy. Some people will smoke and never get cancer, some dogs will eat them and be ok. It's a risk.

The important thing is if you do allow your dog to eat them, they need to be supervised.

Greyhoundluv- your vet and mine say exactly the same thing.

I have from time to time given my dogs the CET treated chews but as soon as they get soft, they are garbage. I exchange it for a cookie so I am forgiven!

Edited by RobinM

Guest SillyIzzysMom

What about Macho sticks (or Bully sticks they're also called?) I've given them some times, but I monitor to make sure they're not so short that they can be swallowed. . .

Guest Koalalou2

Yes we give bully sticks as well!! I'd love to hear if these are dangerous. Of course, they are always closely supervised when they get these and we crate them while they eat to make sure they don't get hidden around the house and cause problems later.