Need Advice Please: Gave Dog My Medicine

I had a very tough day with my recovery from cervical spinal surgery...pain and exhausted. I just went to take my pravachol 40mg for my cholesterol that I place in a cup in the AM to take in the evening. It was not there.

I just realized that when I one of my other dogs his evening medicine, I must have mistakenly given Missy MY medicine instead of her Dog Gone Pain... she stopped metacam about one week ago after switching to DGP and currently takes besides DGP (which I gave her this morning/not tonite)

fresh factors

arthri soothe gold (gluc/chond/msm/green lipped mussel)

salmon oil

vitamin E

I tried to do some quick research...doesn't look like she should be in any danger, since I found evidence of it being given to dogs.

I am looking for advice before I make her vomit...it was nearly 3 hours ago that I gave it to her.

I had a very bad day.

I did a brief search and the only cautionary item I found was interaction with blood thinners and a warning about not drinking grapefruit juice. If you need to so SOMETHING and have some milk thistle, you could give Missy a dose.

Just relax and take a deep breath. Sorry you were having such a bad day.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest LadyChester

Maybe try calling Bristol Myers Squibb: 800-332-2056

or

ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center

As the premier animal poison control center in North America, the APCC is your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think that your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, make the call that can make all the difference: (888) 426-4435. A $60 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card.

I hope you feel better!

Edited by LadyChester

Guest sheila

I wouldn't worry so much about her taking an accidental dose of your cholesterol meds as I would about overdoing the supplements that you have her taking. That along with whatever you feed sounds like a lot of supplements that overlap each other and it is very possible that one could do more damage with over supplementing than without supplementing at all. JMO

i called poison control for humans..they didn't think it was a problem but suggested I call e-vet or animal poison control. E-vet researched and said one dose shouldn't be a problem; prolonged use would though. to watch her over the next couple of days and if needed bring her into my vet for blood work.

thank you all for your help and kind words; much needed at this time.

I did a brief search and the only cautionary item I found was interaction with blood thinners and a warning about not drinking grapefruit juice. If you need to so SOMETHING and have some milk thistle, you could give Missy a dose.

Just relax and take a deep breath. Sorry you were having such a bad day.

could you please tell me what milk thistle is used for? thank you

Guest LadyChester

I'm sure she'll be fine! Milk thistle is used to support the liver, which metabolizes many medications; others are metabolized through the kidneys, I believe. I'm sure some one with experience will chime in.

Hang in there and take good care of yourself :grouphug

How's everyone doing today???

much better, thanks! Missy seems fine! but I am keeping an eye on her for any changes

I had a talk with "myself" to try to get over this funk I have been in since the surgery. It wasn't an easy surgery...but I didn't expect the recovery to be like this! I only hope the fusion takes and the surgery was worth it! thanks for asking.