Grass Eating...

Guest ChasesMum

Guest ChasesMum

Most specifically "quackgrass" or whatever the stuff that grows nice and tall and apparently juicy!

Chaswe occasionally goes through bouts of goat impersonation and will stop in the middle of our walks to eat grass! Obviously I don't let her stop for a snack on walks since I don't know if someone has sprayed it or not but she usually does grab a bite before I get her moving. She has tried to dog out of our yard to get at the grass on the other side of the fence!

So is is ever a sign of something more sinister or should I just put my worrying mommy self away and relax about it?

Guest MnMDogs

Mork, Mara and the foster, Bart all love to snack on grass, without any bad effects. Matty only eats it if she needs to vomit. Like you, I try not to let them eat grass I'm not sure has been treated. But in the yard, I let them snack a little bit...Not too much, since it's not all that fun to deal with it coming out the other end.

Guest KsFrets

It's a sign that they think they are cows. Sometimes we have a couple cows too. They are like our weedwackers, and love the long stuff that grows along the fence line. They do it every day, and we haven't seen any problems.

Many of mine have been regular grass eaters over the years with no ill effects. They didn't do this to make themselves sick because their tummies were 'off', but simply because they obviously enjoyed the taste. Luckily round here the roadside grass is never sprayed only cut periodically by the council, so there is always plenty of new grass coming through for them to enjoy.

Sue from England

I wonder if quack grass is the same as crab grass. That's what Patrick carefully selects. Same as Susan though, only in my yard where I know there are no chemicals.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Cris_M

Duncan also eats non-sprayed grass. He never has any stomach issues with it. He likes only the newest, most tender parts of some lacy looking grass. He eats some every day until it is out of season. Kind of like us eating figs.

So, I figure the "cows" should have at it!

Guest Dillymom

Lola takes her title as cowdoggie too seriously and thinks she is supposed to graze. Typically the houses here that have the kind she likes are the ones that are sitting empty with weeds growing like crazy so I let her take a bite or two. She doesn't do it to get sick, she just likes a little salad with her meals

Guest ChasesMum
I wonder if quack grass is the same as crab grass. That's what Patrick carefully selects. Same as Susan though, only in my yard where I know there are no chemicals.

yup I think its the same thing...same idea anyways!

Lola takes her title as cowdoggie too seriously and thinks she is supposed to graze. Typically the houses here that have the kind she likes are the ones that are sitting empty with weeds growing like crazy so I let her take a bite or two. She doesn't do it to get sick, she just likes a little salad with her meals

Heh... salad, that's what hubby calls it too!

Good to know its normal!

Guest LashandRed

Hi there, both of ours love the to eat grass. I asked the vet if it was a "sign" of anything, she said, they just like a salad. We just make sure that the grass hasn't been treated with anything, so the more natural the better.

both of mine eat grass, blue prefers 'cleavers' (aka goose grass, sticky weed). only problem later on is the occasional dingleberries.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.