Help! Hot Spot? Or Thyroid?

Guest EMcElfresh

Guest EMcElfresh

I am watching a greyhound for the summer - a boarder if you will - and I noticed a couple days ago that she had a sore looking spot on her tail. It's worrisome... :unsure

Now, when she came to me, the spot was a bit bare, and she is on thyroid meds (I don't know what the name is off hand, so I can't tell you if she's hyper or hypo) - and I didn't worry about it thinking it was either a bald spot because of her thyroid issues (she's got some patchyness on her butt too) - or it was a scar from an old happy tail or dog scrap.

However, two mornings ago - I noticed it was red - perhaps she'd been licking it? Perhaps it's a hotspot? I put some Bacitracin (like neosporin) on it, put gauze and a bit of vetwrap to keep her from eating the ointment or continuing to lick if that was the problem. I let 24 hours go by (no biting of the vetwrap or anything, good girl!!) and then unwrapped it and it looked worse - kinda crusty and redder!! I thought to myself, perhaps this is the kind of owie that needs to be left open to the air to feel better - and it looks marginally better today - but I am wondering - should I bring her to the vet?

I have written permission from the owners (who are in Europe) to bring her into any vet if nessessary, and I have been in email contact with them about it - they said just to do whatever I feel is right...is this sounding like a vet trip or am I overly freaking out? She has total feeling in all the tail - it seems a bit swollen and tender at the actual site - I am wondering if she got stung or if it's a hotspot or what...I don't want to be a freak and cost these people money and worry that is not nessessary, but she's not mine...and last time Gordon had an owie (though it was a dog bite) on his tail, it had to be amputated, so tail wounds are kinda a paranoid thing with me...

Thoughts lovely GT folk?

It's worth a vet trip if you are so worried :) I know for hot spots years ago we used Absorbine Jr. Dried them up. Since this is not your dog, and there is a possibility of staph, I'd take her in. Any chance she has a flea?

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest EMcElfresh

Well, she's on Frontline plus, as are my dogs - and I haven't noticed any scratching..just licking. I looked up a bunch of sites, they all recommend shaving the area to allow more air and not to cover it - but using things (like absorbine) to dry them out - should I try these things first and then take her in if it doesn't help (say in 24 hours) or would something like a hot spot or staph get crazy out of control in that amount of time?

You sound worried, I'd take her in. If she were my baby and I were out of the country, I'd rather you error on the side of caution.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest EMcElfresh

Yeah - you guys have convinced me - I am going to call in now and hopefully get an appointment tomorrow...

Thanks guys, sometimes it's awesome to just have a support group who will help reassure you that your choices aren't mental :rolleyes:

Where on the tail is it? It's not stud tail is it?

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren