Skin Staph Infection

My poor boy is so pink people are asking me if he is sunburned! The vet says he has a staph infection so he is on Cephalexin 2 x per day. Is this a food allergy issue? He has always been pink but now he has the red dots on him as well. Could he have had this for a long time and it is just flaring up now?

Susan and Pongo

Has your vet done a culture to make sure it's staph? If they have, did they do a culture and sensitivity to assure it's not antibiotic-resistant?

Many people- and dogs- carry staph. In humans, it is commonly found in the nasal sinuses. It is opportunistic, and nobody really knows why it may suddenly attack, causing skin infections.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

We are currently battling what is suspected a staph infection. I put pictures in the thread "shanti's tail problems". We are waiting the biopsy results. My girl has it BAD. This is the second time it has popped up. It did clear up the first time quickly with antibiotics, but it was not this bad. You may see greenish blisters show up too. Keep an eye on it and make sure it is improving.

The Girls

wow, I've never seen that! I know that Stoney had a staph infection on his rear and chest that was mimicking kennel acne. It was REALLY bad when we first got him - he was on antibx's for 2 weeks orally and topically.

Hope it clears up soon, sorry I don't have any more insight.

Guest SoulsMom

Soul had a persistant skin staph infection last summer, looked like flaky dry acne. I switched to a grain free food and started adding supplements (for his lupus) and the staph has yet to come back.

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest greytmonty

Monty had antibiotic resistant staph last year for about 7 months. It is important to both CLEAR UP the infections, with antibiotics and with good bathing such as with Cephalexin, and then to determine if possible the cause of the infection. In Monty's case it was from chronic scratching and biting at his skin due to severe allergies, which we have under better control this year.

Good luck!

Not yet, but I have looked Manuka Honey up. Lots to choose from. It said it has been helpful on Staph and MRSLA (?).

MRSA. Methicillin-resistant staph aureus.

While being methicillin resistant is hardly the end-all for antibiotic resistance, it's sort of a yardstick- a simple enough designation to say "this strain of Staph. aureus is resistant to methicillin, and therefore may be resistant to other drugs as well."

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest 2Brindles
Not yet, but I have looked Manuka Honey up. Lots to choose from. It said it has been helpful on Staph and MRSLA (?).

Perhaps the site was referring to MRSA - which is a particularly virulent staph strain. People usually contract it in hospitals (how ironic, no?) and in the case of the elderly or those with compromised immune systems it can be fatal. :(