No Leg Use...

Guest phillychad

Guest phillychad

Hello, my name is Chad. I have a female Greyhound 8 years old. She is slightly overweight and has some dental issues but other than that is in good health. Her last walk yesterday was around 11pm (Saturday)... everything seemed fine. She had a very restless night, up and down out of the bed. This morning we noticed her holding her left (facing me) rear leg up. She has had the occasional cramp so it was no big deal that she was favoring that leg. As the day went on it became apparent that something was wrong. She can no longer use the leg. If she does, it's only for a quick hop to switch her weight. I just had to carry her down the steps and drive her to her spot where she uses the bathroom. She did pee but because of the leg she was unable to hold herself up to poop. No history of arthritis and as far as we are aware (adopted), no leg injuries. We checked her pad thoroughly. As she is laying down we are able to move her leg in full motion without causing her any noticeable discomfort. What could this be? We live in Philadelphia and there is a very good emergency animal care unit called University of Pennsylvania but they are EXTREMELY expensive just to walk in the door. We do have a vet that specializes in Grey's but I'm almost certain they aren't there until Friday. We do not have enough money to go to a new vet on an emergency basis. We are hoping we can get her to the Greyhound vet I spoke of but want to make sure she will be ok. As of now it's not looking good. Any help would GREATLY BE APPRECIATED! She is the love of our lives... Right now she is on her back, legs up in the air. She only does that when she is comfortable, this is why it seems to me to be a muscle pull but of course, I am no vet... Thank You for taking the time to help... PhillyChad

CIMG3097.jpg

Any swelling, redness, bruising, soreness when you gently run your hands all over her leg/hip?

If not, next thing to do is check the foot. Get a bright light and a magnifying glass (and somebody else to hold her head and give her ear rubs, if possible). Check in between the toes -- all the way up in there -- in between the pads on the bottom of the foot, the pads themselves -- look for hard spots, pinholes, bruised spots; part the hair around the nail beds and make sure there are no sore spots; wiggle each toenail and each toe gently from side to side; gently squeeze each toe from the sides.

If you don't find anything (and maybe if you do), then off to the vet with you tomorrow. But always check those feet extra-well first. A small simple thing on a foot can make a dog reluctant to use it. Fingers crossed for you that it is something simple!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest phillychad

This may be unrelated but she threw up a few times just now. We did give her aspirin (300 mg buffered... 1 and a half tablets) @ 3pm, it's now 10pm.

Guest phillychad

Just checked her foot very throughly with a high powered L.E.D. light... Seems fine, wiggled toes and everything. It seems strange that we can move her entire leg through the full range of motion with no apparent discomfort. Getting scared... We are going to try to get her to poop by carrying her downstairs to her "spot" but she can't get into "position" due to her holding up the rear leg...

Sending my prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest phillychad

Gideon, nope! bell doesn't work... I was going to walk her but we are going to wait until she shows signs of having to go. She is in too much discomfort to move her now. We are a bit concerned because she just threw up but it may have been due to the aspirin we gave her earlier. Sorry I missed you, we are going to just try and lay down with her to make her comfortable. Do you know if Ngap vet's are there tomorrow? I know they are there on Fridays. Didn't you say you took Mr. Duke there? Let me know... Chad

Guest houndstooth4

Aspirin can make tummies upset, that's for sure. If she had a regular apetite, I'd see how she does with the eating in the morning.

As far as the leg is concerned, it does sound like a muscle pull, but it could also be a slipped disk or pinched nerve. There are other things, too, but those seem highly likely. I hope you get her in to the vet and get good news soon!

Guest Gideon

Never got to NGAP. I thought they had hours on Thursdays.

I am going to a new vet on 15th and Wolf.

Comes highly recommended from the person we are taking the grey in for.

Dr Simmons: 215-468-2814.

I have no idea what he charges but he is supposed to be very reasonable and good with greyhounds.

Give a call tomorrow, I will be at 9 am to get Duke over there.

We are 215-291-4434 in case you lost our number. Shop number is on the message to.

Lastly, if you need my help tonight please call. We have the wagon and you have the two seat. The wagon could come in handy to load her in if neccessary.

Edited by Gideon

Guest phillychad

Gideon, THANK YOU for the info! If Ngap isn't there tomorrow I will use above number. Going to lay down now, work @ 5am... sent you an e-mail. Thanks for the number, did loose yours. If we need the wagon I will call you, thanks again for caring... Tell the misses we said hi. We will hook up tomorrow, hoping some other folks may have some idea's. Saw your article in the paper, nice! Do you keep Duke at the store? That's so cool! Kind of a guard dog, that doesn't bite! lol! Chad

Guest Greytminds

PhillyChad,

Our Shane gets muscle soarness from time to time. When he gets like that we have him rest as much ass possible and use cold compresses (ice packs). He is usually back on his feet within a day. When giving asperins I have been told to make sure they are given with food. I have also stated giving them all a veggie goop and have not seen any more signs of leg tenderness from Shane. Dont know if this will help you. Good Luck.

Paul

Guest Greytminds

PS

When she urinates is the color of her urine darker then normal. She could have a bladder infection sometimes that effects there movement also. Press her stomach area and see if she reacts negative or welps.

Good Luck....

Paul

Guest luckydog

Chad--NGAP's clinic days are Tuesday and Friday. Give the office a call today to see if they have any open appointments for tomorrow.

Sounds like it COULD be a torn ACL.

She needs to go to the vet. They can tell you in 5 minutes if that's what it is--there is a very simple leg manipulation called the "drawer test" (may not actually be the correct term!). They gently pull in opposite directions the top half and the bottom half of the leg. If her ACL is gone, the top slides forward over the bottom.

My old dog had this; it's not painful to her unless her "thigh" slides over her "shin," which is why you can move it around and get no reaction. But your description of her not using it at all, except for balance, sounds like exactly what happened to my dog.

Good luck--I hope I'm wrong--I really do.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

• 4 months later...

That's terrible. I am so sorry to hear this. I had so hoped not to hear that as a diagnosis.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Thanks for updating, Gideon. Please pass along my condolences to Scribbles' people.

Godspeed, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so sorry. Run fast and free with all of our Angels sweetheart. My deepest sympathy. :grouphug:f_pink

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I am so sorry. :f_red

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead