Prednisone

Does anyone know if it causes an increase in gas? I know that it can increase the dog's thirst and need to urinate. The reason I'm asking is Pop had a flare-up and his anal area was raw and really bugging him so we took him in to the vets (got the appt. for about 48 hrs after we noticed it bugging him) and they gave him steroids, which have cleared up his symptoms in the past when used (our old vet didn't tell us that they would get thirstier/urinate more, so one night I woke up to Pop peeing on my closet! about 2 hours after he had just gone out...he now has a diaper that we used last time he was on steroids).

Last night we came home after being gone for maybe an hour and as soon as we walked in to the house I could smell the farts in the air. When I went in to the room to uncrate the dogs I was gagging it was so strong...I even checked the crates for poop even though they go outside right before we leave everytime. Also, when he's laying down we keep hearing loud farts from him. He also is on Taste of the Wild food straight now, with pumpkin mixed in @ breakfast/dinner and some cauliflower/broccoli (very little) - Zelda is on the same food/diet but w/more broccoli/cauliflower/carrots than Pop and doesn't seem any gasier.

I told b/f we may have to invest in some gas masks for a couple of weeks while he's on steroids if this keeps up.

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Normally Pred can cause some GI upset, mainly in the stomach. Have not heard of gas problems and not experienced that in my hounds that have been on Pred. Would stop the cauliflower/broccoli additions and see if that helps clear up the problem. :)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Ok, that's what I thought...so we'll cut out the broccoli/cauliflower...I just can't figure out why in the last 24 hours his gas has gotten bad when he's been on the veggies over 2 weeks now. And his poop wasn't completely solid this morning either, but it has been until he started the pred., so I'll chalk that up to the pred. He goes back next week for a check up. Maybe give him a little more pumpkin to help with his tummy.

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

It'd probably be better to give him some Pepcid AC, 30 min. prior to the medication with meals. :)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.