Tramadol Questions

Guest jurishound

Guest jurishound

According to Dr Stack's article on LS (thanks, Batmom), the "greyhound" dose of tramadol is "50 mg as needed for pain, given up to twice daily." We had been giving Cuffy this amount, but last night the vet said we could increase it to 100 mg every 8 hours, so we gave him that dose last night and this morning. Today, he seems almost sedated and won't get out of bed. Is sedation a common side effect? Is the recommended dose okay? :unsure

Edited by jurishound

Guest jurishound

Hmmm . . . I skimmed through some old posts on the topic and it does appear that the higher doses can cause sleepiness in some hounds. I'll cut back and see how he does. :)

Yup, it's an atypical opioid, so you can expect a drowsy effect, or even some loopiness.

Hope your boy's feeling better :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Patrick takes 100mg 2/day in the winter, no apparent side effects.

My vet likes to pair it with deramax (anti-inflamatory) if you can afford and your dog does well on it--that might let you cut the tramadol dose a bit.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

According to my vet, 150 mg per day is safe. I used to spread it out throughout the day. I hope Cuffy feels better

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Our Bell also get a little loopy on 50 mg of Tramadol. I think it does vary in its affects from dog to dog.

Melissa, Penelope (LC's Wild Rose)

Missing sweet Bell (EMK Bolivar Bell). I'll never forget you.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

{image removed, taller than 150px}

we were told when we started giving tramadol to nikki that at higher dosage amounts, especially if administered tid or qid, it could make her a little loopy.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Guest crazy4greys

It depends on the dog, but yes it can cause drowsiness.

Autumn was on 6 pills day for her hip and it didn't make her drowsy, but when my boy Phoenix took it, it was like he was high from the drug and was falling over. He had a bad reaction so I never gave it to him again.

Guest paulamariez

Bueller took it after getting attacked by the mastiff. He definitely got a bit sedated on it. Also, he didn't want to eat very much the whole week and half he was on it. The vet swore it couldn't have been the tramadol, but as soon as Bueller quit taking it, he was eating again. I think it reacts differently with different dogs. Maybe for MOST it doesn't bug their tummies, but Bueller's it did. I will keep your Cuffy in my thoughts and prayers!