Again, The Big D

My new boy whom we have had 6 weeks has the worst bowels

I can't really say its diarrhea cause he only had 2 sometimes 3

a day but when he does its either soup or thin pudding.

He has been to the vet with 2 samples the last one he sent out

for evaluation and came back negative. He has been on

Metronidazole (flagle) 50mm 2 x day for 10 days.

no change.....1 week ago I started to switch from Natural balance

to purnia one for sensitive systems. so far no change

I've tried pumpkin, nothing---He is happy, eats great, plays shows

no sign of sickness...He is two never raced and a real sweetheart

Oh, he weights 72 lbs.

Any suggestions

Guest Nahoa

Ours had a very similar situation. Worked through several foods, making it tough to tell for a bit if the next food wasn't any better or if her system was just adjusting. Ended up with Evo that's worked well for her. Vet had recommended it to get away from grains.

Did turn out to have hookworms later. Don't know enough about those to know if it was possible none of the foods were doing the D and it was the worms growing and falling off. Did have a good month long streak between the initial D and discovery of the worms, so thinking the food is working.

The Lab loves the Evo, too, but then again she'll eat anything!

Edited by Nahoa

Guest LindsaySF

I would try a round or two of Panacur as well, even though the fecal sample came back negative.

If that doesn't work, look into IBS and possibly changing foods.

went through that with our first grey. Tried every type of kibble known to mankind - alternative proteins, etc. Tylan powder worked for a while. I got it in powder form and made capsules myself. It tastes very nasty. After that didn't work so well, we (with the blessing of our vet) switched him to raw. We still have to be careful about the amount of fat in his diet (no skin, remove obvious fat, no lamb) and give him more bone than most, but it has worked for us. He gained back the weight he lost and his hair came back in nice and soft. This was almost three years ago. His poo isn't perfect, but I can pick most of it up! Before, risking being gross, it was like chocolate milk with a lot of mucus. I also periodically give him probiotics and/or slippery elm if he seems to be back-sliding (no pun intended).

Cindy in Poolesville, MD

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow