Looking For A Vet In Manhattan For My Greyhound

Guest jaxmax

Guest jaxmax
Manhattan, New York? Manhattan, Kansas? I can help you with Kansas, but not New York.

Thanks, but I'm looking for New York.

I don't know where you got your grey from but you could call or email Grateful Greyhounds, they do placements in NYC and would likely have suggestions. I will also ask one of our adopters/volunteers who lives in Manhattan and will post here if I get a name.

http://www.gratefulgreyhoundsny.com/

smokes.jpgcollect2.jpg

Pepper the lurcher, Smokey the longdog and Collect (Call Collect) the grey

Della Dee and AMF Achilles waiting at the bridge

Guest Javagirl

Hi there, we're in Queens. Good to have you on GT.

I'm only familiar with 1 vet in Manhattan and it's because she splits her time between Ulster County and Manhattan. Dr. Yasson is EXCELLENT with greys and is a DVM and also a holistic vet (I don't know your preferences). Her practice is in Chelsea.

HolVet

Kristyn and Ladd

Maybe Winterwish will see this. She's in Brooklyn, I think.

What part of Manhattan are you in...assuming you don't have a car and need to walk/cab to the vet?

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest jaxmax
I don't know where you got your grey from but you could call or email Grateful Greyhounds, they do placements in NYC and would likely have suggestions. I will also ask one of our adopters/volunteers who lives in Manhattan and will post here if I get a name.

http://www.gratefulgreyhoundsny.com/

thank you I will try contacting grateful greyhounds

Guest jaxmax
Maybe Winterwish will see this. She's in Brooklyn, I think.

What part of Manhattan are you in...assuming you don't have a car and need to walk/cab to the vet?

I'm in the southern tip of the city and would prefer to walk the dog to the vet. Thanks

When I worked "downtown", I did see people walking greyhounds. Probably as many as I see here in Old Bridge.

What you will have to do, is look up your local vets, make a call and just ask them how many greyhounds they have in their practice. Are they aware of the anesthesia protocols? If you find one you like and are not sure of their "greyhound expertise" bring them the info off of the internet, or print out from this board. I have done that with my vet, if I want something done a certain way, and she is greyhound savy. Buy the vet the greyhound medical book. It will be $40 well spent.

I think you are going to have to do your own foot work, and in the end, you might be better off.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

My vet rocks! He is also a homecare vet so you don't have to worry about driving/taxi's or doggie nerves. He has worked with all 3 of my girls and he is a Ridgeback guy so he completely understands sighthounds. Went to Penn, did a fellowship at Animal Medical Center. I can't say enough good things about him. His name is Andy Obstler and you can reach him at 212.875.2414 or 917.747.3923 and email him at homecarevet@gmail.com.

Edited by carronstar

Guest jaxmax
My vet rocks! He is also a homecare vet so you don't have to worry about driving/taxi's or doggie nerves. He has worked with all 3 of my girls and he is a Ridgeback guy so he completely understands sighthounds. Went to Penn, did a fellowship at Animal Medical Center. I can't say enough good things about him. His name is Andy Obstler and you can reach him at 212.875.2414 or 917.747.3923 and email him at homecarevet@gmail.com.

Thank you so much for this information! I will definitely get in touch with him.

Specks mom can help you. She is in NYC, I think. Hopefully, she will see this.

I'm on LI. You can call A&A vets and ask them for a NYC referral. They are the greyhoungd groups vet here on LI.

516-437-7222

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Thank you so much for this information! I will definitely get in touch with him.

My pleasure.

Guest jaxmax
Specks mom can help you. She is in NYC, I think. Hopefully, she will see this.

I'm on LI. You can call A&A vets and ask them for a NYC referral. They are the greyhoungd groups vet here on LI.

516-437-7222

Thank you! I will call A&A vets.

Guest MomoftheFuzzy

Hi there,

Welcome to NYC, if you're new here. I'm actually on the same kind of hunt, myself, for an even better vet. The one we go to in Sunnyside, Queens (less than 5 miles from you) is fine but I'm very picky when it comes to vets and I'd prefer to find an even more greyhound-savvy doc. Good luck! Let me know if you find someone good. Which neighborhood are you in? I've walked through many a lower Manhattan 'hood and passed by lots of animal hospitals/vets, including some nice-looking ones in Chelsea (don't know how the vets themselves are though nor whether or not they are greyhound-savvy.)

Take care and welcome to GT!

-Chrissy and Speck

:)

Guest jaxmax
Hi there,

Welcome to NYC, if you're new here. I'm actually on the same kind of hunt, myself, for an even better vet. The one we go to in Sunnyside, Queens (less than 5 miles from you) is fine but I'm very picky when it comes to vets and I'd prefer to find an even more greyhound-savvy doc. Good luck! Let me know if you find someone good. Which neighborhood are you in? I've walked through many a lower Manhattan 'hood and passed by lots of animal hospitals/vets, including some nice-looking ones in Chelsea (don't know how the vets themselves are though nor whether or not they are greyhound-savvy.)

-Chrissy and Speck

Guest jaxmax
Hi there,

-Chrissy and Speck

Thanks for your response. I'm in the financial district.

I've gotten a few responses from other people about possible vets in the city including one that is in Chelsea that someone said was greyhound savy. Do you know anything about the vet that is in Battery Park that is affiliated with the soho-tribecca animal hospital? I called them and they do see greyhounds however I'd like to hear from a greyhound owner that it is a good practice and for them to recommend a doctor there.

Guest MomoftheFuzzy

I don't, sorry. :( I wouldn't hesitate to take Speck somewhere in the city (Manhattan) but, for the sake of parking since I have a car and live just over the 59th Street Bridge in Queens, I try to stick to places where we can drive. What with no dogs allowed on the subway and all, ya know?