Tendon Or Ligament Tear/rupture

Guest Goldsmom

Guest Goldsmom

And info for this would be wonderful:

My Goldie who is almost 13 years young injured himself.....from x-ray nothing is broken. Doc is leaning to either a tendon/ligament either partial tear or complete seperation.......He is being such a trooper, we made him a splint from PVC pipe and it really helped his balance.

Has anyone else had dealings with this type of injury? If so, what was the outcome? And can you give me a ball park figure as to the cost. I am asking because from what I am hearing, going to a Ortho Surg. office may run as high as $5,000.........if I take him to either OSU or possible U of Pa it may be less expensive.....I would rather it be me, not him.....

Thanks for any and all help

Goldie says "licks & love" to all his GT friends

Edited by Goldsmom

Guest Goldsmom
Where is the tear?

right rear leg...I have forgotten the name of the tendon....it is the large one that flexes the lower leg... he has no support or flexability in the lower leg.

If it's the ACL, I'd have the surgery done sooner rather than later. If it's a partial tear, recovery time is much less than if you wait for it to go completely.

Four years ago, Lucky (my lab mix) had a complete tear and it cost $800 or $900 (I forget which), and took several months of leash walks only.

Good luck

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest Goldsmom
Did he blow his achilles?

there was no mention of achilles tendon......

Thanks

If you are willing I would take him to OSU for a second option and to get a price.

I just got off the phone with the Vets office, they faxed info to Pittsburgh Vet. Hospital and I have to call tomorrow and see what they have to say....

Doc also recommended OSU or U of Pa....as other best options....

God! I feel like s_it think about money, but when they said maybe 3-$5,000.....you could have knocked me over....I was figuring $1,000-$1,500

Thanks for all your help

If it's the ACL, I'd have the surgery done sooner rather than later. If it's a partial tear, recovery time is much less than if you wait for it to go completely.

Four years ago, Lucky (my lab mix) had a complete tear and it cost $800 or $900 (I forget which), and took several months of leash walks only.

Good luck

I am not waiting, he has to have something done now!!!

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it very much from everyone!

I can give you lots of information about Achilles Rupture, surgery and recuperation.

My boy Rascal went thru all that on BOTH of his rear legs!! AT THE SAME TIME!!!!

search for my posts if you want to read on that,, or PM me and i will let you know more!

Good luck, it's always amazing to me what the surgeon can do!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest Goldsmom

Thank you all for the information......I appreciate all the input. Will keep you posted as thing play out! Keep my fella in your prayers..

God Bless!