Thunder Anxiety

Guest dubeespot

Guest dubeespot

Hi, I am sure I am not alone in having a grey with major "thunder" anxiety. The only problem is - is that with every storm she is getting worse and worse now the point that she is becoming anxious almost every day. Sugar was always our "nervous nellie" but it seems to be getting worse. She is only 6 years old and a sweetheart but I am worried that I may have to ask my vet for some anti-anxiety meds and that's the LAST thing I want to do.

Any advice???

Guest IndysDad

You may want to try a couple of drops of Rescue Remedy or perhaps invest in a Storm Defender cape...we have friends with hounds that have used both with very good success.

HTH

Guest Harry702

Hi there. We're in the same boat with our pup, Harry. We've just recently tried giving him Maletonin before the storm hits, with little success so far. One of the keys might be to try and figure out what about the storm sets her off (the noise, the change in static electricity, or the change barometric pressure). I got a recording of a thunderstorm, played it for Harry and sure enough, a few loud booms and he was off to his crate, head down, tail between his legs. For each stressor there are different treatments available, and I'm guessing in most cases, the reaction might turn out to be a reaction to a combination of different things. It helps to know what is triggering their reaction so you can tailor their treatment accordingly.

I have to admit that most of what I've read so far about treating thunderstorm phobia in dogs isn't very encouraging... guess we may have to get used to not seeing our guy most evenings in the summertime. :( Best of luck to you and let me know if you find something that works!

If the anxiety is severe... the best combo of drugs as Diane mentioned are Clomicalm (or prozac) daily through storm season and then Xanax as needed just prior to storms. You can use products like DAP or the storm defender cape with the medications as well. You can try other things like playing thunderstorm CDs when it is nice out to desensitize them but a lot of dogs don't react to taht as there isn't a drop in pressure like during a real storm.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

I feel your pain, Max, my male hides in my laundry room, I put his pillow in there and put the dryer on, it drounds out the noise, it is the noise that scares him the most, we had to drive in one for almost 2 hours Sunday, and then Mon and Tues same time, bad storms, he pants, shakes, poor baby, as soon as he gets in the laudry room, he calms down. I am thinking that he needs some type of meds too for the fireworks soon to be here!!!

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Of my 4, Polli has a very, very hard time with the storms. i've tried the cape, shirts, rescue remedy but I had to go with the big guns and now I have valium on hand for me so I don't have to deal with it.

Just kidding. I have valium for her and it helps.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest greytexplorer
If she is to the point of severe panic, talk to your vet about chomicalm (would be a daily thing for awhile) or xanax (give when it storms).

I feel your pain! I give Ester generic Xanax also. In fact, I just gave her one about 15 minutes ago. She just now has gone back to her bed for a lie-down. We've got a thunderstorm going somewhere nearby, and she can feel/hear it.

I have tried almost everything for her, and this is the only thing that works. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it continues to help her.

Good luck to you.

~Pat

Guest gr8hound47

My little girl is thunderphobic too, has gotten better over the 2 years we have had her. We use melatonin, dap defusior and something that has helped is T-Touch, and the body wraps. The body wrap when we first started using it seemed to help her calm down the most. We dont use the body wrap as much as in the past. But with the 4th coming up, they will come out again.

Guest Grhndad

We have 2 thunderphobics here. Rescue Remedy works some but we have had the best results with a drier sheet. Just rub down with one and we tuck it under their collar. It calms them down right away.