Question About Greyhound Lab Work Results

Toby went to the vet for his regular checkup a few days ago. They drew blood for lab work. Vet's ofc just called and got my DH. They told him all lab work came back in great health. They said a couple things were a little off norm but regular for muscular greyhounds. Of course my husband didn't ask what things were off norm but regular for muscular sighthounds and now I'm just wondering. Does anybody know? Toby is a big (82 pound) muscular boy. Does anybody know what lab results are slighly diff in greyhounds vs other/regular dogs?

Edited by fsugrad

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest greytkidsmom

It is usually the BUN/Creatinine which are kidney function tests. They are higher than normal in GHs because of their muscle mass. The red blood cell count is also normally higher than most dogs.

Here is a link to a great explanation about GH bloodwork...

Dr. Stack's Site

Thank you so much! And congratulations on your adoption of Lucas! He is such a cutie pie--he sure has a lot of 'fans' on this board!! :)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

It is usually the BUN/Creatinine which are kidney function tests. They are higher than normal in GHs because of their muscle mass. The red blood cell count is also normally higher than most dogs.

Dr. Stack's Site

And here are some actual values that you can compare... (from the same site noted above).

Lima Bean (formerly Cold B Hi Fi) and her enabler, Rally. ☜We're moving West!

gallery_14681_2997_4088.jpg

When I have my hounds' bloodwork done, I always ask for a copy for my records. My vet always gives it to me. I then study it like a schoolgirl. :lol Just had my male grey in for a wellness check / heartworm / etc. When the vet called with the blood results I asked to have a copy faxed to me. This way I can keep all the records on these guys.

buu/Creatine and thryoid. Check out the sites above for the best info.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Thanks so much!

Dr. Stack's Site

And here are some actual values that you can compare... (from the same site noted above).

Keep in mind that the values listed on teh site above are not "universal Greyhound normal levels". Different labs can vary significantly amongst various blood levels.

Look at hte trends noted in the site referenced. For example, a Greyhound creatinine concentration can be slightly higher than the reference range listed by your lab and be normal. Now you can interpret a creatinine run at any lab. The reference range listed above would falsely diagnose a lot of dogs at Ohio State with kidney disease if we tried to apply to blood results that they get at their lab.

The sites values are not "wrong"... they are just only relevant to their lab. Learn the trends... don't memorize the values!!!

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg