Explosive Poop

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Guest TaraCoachCougar

My 13 year old had explosive poop today for only the second time in her life while I was at work. The other time was about 8 years ago.

About 2 weeks ago I started giving wet Nutro along with her dry Nutro. Has anyone else experienced these types of poop issues with adding in wet food?

I'm worried it's either a virus/bug, the new food or something more serious since she is 13. No other symptoms, but I'm a worrier anyway.

Any suggestions to deal with her loose poop? She ran outside when I got home and shot out some more.

Tara, Coach and Cougar

Guest alannamac

Bandit gets that whenever I give him something a little too fatty. I often add rotisserie chicken bits to his dry food, and realized that there was a correlation of the "explosive poops" to a certain grocery store's rotisserie chicken, and none of the other grocery stores chickens did this. A closer examination of the ingredients list and I noticed that they were injecting this particular store's chickens with oil!

I also had this issue with a dry food.....Proplan sensitive skin salmon and rice.....he'd had it many times before with no issues, but this particular batch, he just couldn't eat without massive diarrhea.

If you stop the canned food and switch to plain chicken and rice diet for a day or two while her system calms down, and then gradually reintroduce the dry food with chicken and rice slowly tapering off over a few meals, the diarrhea should taper off. If it doesn't or she seems shaky, I'd get a quick exam at the vet to check her temperature etc.

Guest Winterwish

I hope she feels better soon poor baby. :gh_child Sure,it could definitely be from the canned. I'd hold off on giving her anything to eat for tonite to help her belly calm,and have plenty of water available for her.

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Just feed Cougar and put a few kernels in her bowl to see if she would have any interest. No go. She is still laying up on my bed.

TT

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Coach just jumped down and took a good long drink so that makes me feel alittle better. I know she has to be dehydrated and feel like poop.

Tara Coach and Cougar

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Ok. I'll quit being neurotic for a little while after this, but since she had a good drink of water I put her on leash and took her out for some fresh air. She was a little peppy when I got the leashes down (both usually act a little crazy with this normally). She did well outside. Peed a little, walked a little more, shoot out a small amount of watery poop. Poor thing is probably cleaned out. Was a little shaky on the steps coming back in slowly, but she's been that way for about a year or so. Drank another few laps of water when we came back in. Circled into the room where I'm at with the computer, wandered back through the house and jumped back up onto our bed. Has jumped back down. Might be looking for a little bit to eat so I may get a little rice out.

Thanks for listening.

Tara Coach and Cougar

Guest greytexplorer

From experience, when Mandy paces around, can't find a comfortable position or location to lie down, inevitably the Big D erupts. Be prepared. This too shall pass.

~Pat

Guest MAXNAV
From experience, when Mandy paces around, can't find a comfortable position or location to lie down, inevitably the Big D erupts. Be prepared. This too shall pass.

~Pat

That's exactly what I was thinking. My collie could not tolerate wet food at all. The mushy stuff would go right through him. He was able to eat the pouches of Pedigree, but only enough to hide his meds in, mixed in with the dry food.

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Had too much water earlier and yacked it back up in two spots. She did have one of her brownies (glucosamine/chondrontin/etc. supplement) as soon as I got home so that may have contributed, too. Has had only a few sips over the last few hours. Went out on leash again and tinkled a wee bit. Didn't have to do #2 that time though. She just wanted to come back inside. Crossing my fingers for a smooth night. I decided to skip any food tonight, but I've got some rice ready for the morning. Praying she gets better and Cougar doesn't catch it! All have turned in for the night, I hope.

Thanks for letting me share. It's calming to not freak out alone. Puts my own stomach in knots though.

Tara Coach and Cougar

When this happened in our house the vet said to withhold food for a good 48 hours to let her digestive system calm down. She could drink all the water she wanted - which meant she had to pee a lot! Then start again with SMALL amounts - like a couple tablespoons - of plain rice (the color didn't matter) and a few bites of protein. The protein could be meat baby food, or a few chunks of lean chicken/turkey breast, or a spoon of ground meat (rinsed of as much fat as possible whether beef or chicken/turkey). And to feed this 4-5 time the first day as long as no diarhea resulted, gradually increasing the amount, and ultimately mixing in her normal food over the next few days.

Hope your baby feels better soon!

greysmom :D

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Pepto Bismol gelcaps.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest FullMetalFrank

We have used immodium caplets with success for bad diarrhea, but with a 13 year old I would check with the vet first. Frank had one bout of the big D when we first started raw and one little caplet did wonders for him.

My first two girls couldn't do canned food so I haven't even tried with Aquitaine. Both Scarlett and Morgaine got the explosive poops from canned food. Morgaine also couldn't eat turkey (I found out the hard way) for the same reason. Pepto Bismol does help.

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Thanks to all for the advice. Last night was restful and uneventful. Yea!

Since I am currently meatless, Coach had a small amount of the white rice I boiled up last night and about 10 kernels of dry food. Also found out that my husband gave her the usual milkbone when he left for work. I came home and checked at lunch and all was clean. She got another portion of rice and then a milkbone when I left to go back to work.

Recently returned from work/Kindergarten shots/trip to store to reward brave 5 year old/supper and all seems calm.

I'll try a rice/dry food combo again for supper.

Hoping we are in the clear. She acts about 90% her normal self. Just a little draggy, but I know how I'd feel if I'd gone through that yesterday! Hoping Cougar doesn't take us through round 2!

Thanks

Tara Coach and Cougar

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Hmmm. Hadn't heard of the Nutro scare. I may consider switching. Hate to do that to Coach's stomach right now, but the reason I started mixing in the wet was because she had become disinterested in her dry food.

Off to research foods...

Thanks again.

Tara Coach and Cougar