Getting A Little Worried...

Guest Iheartgreys

Guest Iheartgreys

I posted yesterday that Mac had an upset stomach.

Saturday morning he ate his breakfast fine, Saturday afternoon he seemed fine, and then Saturday night he wouldn't eat his dinner.

He didn't eat at all yesterday, and got sick 2 x, just bile. I did give him a pepcid last night around 8.

This morning he seems much the same. Not worse, but not better. No breakfast. Went outside, saw him getting sick outside, again bile, and a this time a little grass. I don't suspect a blockage, i think he may just have a bug, or perhaps he ate a yucky weed outside...

He is totally mobile, just seems kind of down, but was running around outside a bit.

Gave him another pepcid just a few minutes ago.

I don't really know what to do. I keep thinking maybe he should go to the vet, but then i'm not sure they could do anything.

Also, he is drinking a bit here and there.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Guest MAXNAV

I know I would at least call your vet ASAP and let them know what's happening. They'll probably want you to bring him in. (Mine would for sure.) Better safe than sorry. It may be a virus, but it could be something more serious. I would have it checked out. Please keep us posted on what happens.

Checking in. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Iheartgreys

Ok, back from the vet and a whopping $360 later basically we are going to try Mac on a hypoallergenic diet for 60 days, along with tylan powder (an antibiotic).

Mac has been on a antibiotic for clostridium (sp?) for about 3 weeks, which doesn't seem to be helping. The vet thinks that this is all related and wants to try the food thing first. He said that Mac's intestines are really inflamed and gassy on the x-ray.

So now he is restricted to only this certain food, Royal Canin hypoallergenic, and water...

We'll see how that goes.

A question for you all...

The practice i have been going to is known for their greyhound savvy vets. We havent seen the same vet each time, do you all try to see the same person?

The reason i ask is that the one vet said that the 1st antibiotic may take a few weeks, and this vet was like, well it obviously isn't working so lets use this powder...

Edited by Iheartgreys

Guest alannamac

Clostridium? isn't that a botulism bacteria? Did your pup have a previous infection? or why is he being treated with antibiotics?

Anyway, a lot of times certain antibiotics upset the stomach if not taken with a meal, and since they're antibioitics they clean out the natural intestinal bacterial flora and cause an imbalance which can lead to all sorts of gas and inflammation.

Not knowing the whole story here as to why the antibiotics are being used, it's hard to guess why they want to switch.

I go to a practice with 3 different vets who cycle on certain days of the week. If it's regular vaccinations and no difficulties I don't care who I get, but if it's something ongoing, that requires several visits, I would at least talk to the vet who did the diagnosis to get their opinion on the treatment the other vet is suggesting (particularly if its a change in approaches). It could be that your 1st vet agrees whole-heartedly and can give you more reassurance.

Hope your pup is feeling better soon.

Guest BlackandBrindle

I recently switched vets because I wanted a personal relationship with our vet, instead of just seeing a revolving door of vets at a larger clinic.

Don't get me wrong, I never had any complaints about the larger clinic, I just feel it's important that my vet KNOWS my dogs, ya know?

When we were there we always tried to get the same vet.

Hope your baby feels better soon!

Edited by BlackandBrindle

Guest alannamac

ooooh wait a minute....did you mean Clostridium difficile? It causes dysentery. Two questions if this is the case, did they do a culture of the poo to determine for sure that it was Clos.diff, or did they just think it was likely? and was your puppers put on metronidazole by chance?

That antibiotic really rips up the stomach if not taken with a big meal. If that's the case, maybe that's why they're switching anitbiotics to something gentler on the stomach. If they're not sure Clostridium is causing the irritation, that may be why they're trying a different diet to see if there's some sort of food allergy. The whole thing makes a lot more sense if that's what you were talking about initially.

Anyway let me stop this Sherlock Holmesing and recommend that you call your vet's office and ask to speak to your original diagnosing vet and get their opinion of the new treatment. You've certainly paid for the privilege :)

Guest Iheartgreys
ooooh wait a minute....did you mean Clostridium difficile? It causes dysentery. Two questions if this is the case, did they do a culture of the poo to determine for sure that it was Clos.diff, or did they just think it was likely? and was your puppers put on metronidazole by chance?

That antibiotic really rips up the stomach if not taken with a big meal. If that's the case, maybe that's why they're switching anitbiotics to something gentler on the stomach. If they're not sure Clostridium is causing the irritation, that may be why they're trying a different diet to see if there's some sort of food allergy. The whole thing makes a lot more sense if that's what you were talking about initially.

Anyway let me stop this Sherlock Holmesing and recommend that you call your vet's office and ask to speak to your original diagnosing vet and get their opinion of the new treatment. You've certainly paid for the privilege :)

Yes, he has had loose stool since we got him in March, and the vet did a culture and found Clostridium. Yes, he was on that antibiotic.

He seems to think that it is more than just the clostridium causing the loose stool, and that three weeks on the same antibiotic should have warranted some improvement but there is none.

I am going to call the vet tomorrow and speak to the "original" vet just to get her opinion.

Good advice on all points.

My pups have never had trouble with metronidazole, but some do. And your pup's symptoms are classic "this antibiotic is making me sick!" Both nausea and diarrhea can result.

In case it helps with the new/next antibiotic, what I usually do is: 1 regular strength pepcid, wait @ 30 minutes, feed a meal, then give antibiotic within next 30 minutes. If I have to give antibiotic 3-4 times per day, I'll either split up pup's regular two meals or cut them back a little so I have room for a substantial snack before giving the other pills. That's for the nausea/not wanting to eat end. For the other end, if antibiotic is causing loose poop, I'll give half to one metamucil wafer twice a day to help firm things up.

Hugs and luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.