Eating Grass

Guest greyhoundmom1

Guest greyhoundmom1

I'm still learning here......my boy Goodie starts to eat grass everytime we go outside. Not a lot and I try to distract him.

I have always thought that when a dog eats grass they're trying to settle their stomach - is this true in greys also?

Thanks!

Guest TBSFlame

My hounds just seem to like grass. They don't eat much and they don't throw it up. Sometimes it looks like a herd of cows grazing. lol. I wouldn't worry too much about it if it doesn't cause a problem.

Guest lionessgrace

Both my dogs - one a grey and one not - eat the weedy looking grass on our walks, but maybe only about once a week. Neither throws up though. I think they just like it and they must know something we don't.

Guest ArtysPeople

Arty seems to really like the grass when it's good and damp from rain or dew. I discourage it on an empty stomach (we take our morning walks before breakfast) because he has vomited before under those conditions, but otherwise, I allow it. You'll want to be extra sure to use a good worm prophylactic if your dog likes to eat grass where other dogs may have done their business :puke but you're doing that anyhow, right?

Mine like to eat grass too. I don't let them much on people's properties that I know use pesticides on their grass though, so mostly they do it in our yard.

Kenzie is very much a grazer. But we only let her do it in our yard since we don't use pesticides; in the park or on the street we hustle her along.

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

Guest Greyt_Dogs
Both my dogs - one a grey and one not - eat the weedy looking grass on our walks, but maybe only about once a week. Neither throws up though. I think they just like it and they must know something we don't.

Mine only go for the weedy grass too. I wonder if they would go for flower tops and roaches too?