6 Week Update On Dye

Guest jturchi2

Guest jturchi2

Sorry it has been so long for an update, but Dye is doing great! I've been cleaning her tracks 2 x's a day. We go on Tuesday (assuming I can get to the western part of Iowa from Iowa City) to have her 3rd recheck. We will decide on Tuesday if the pins should come out and the external fixator should come off or if she can keep it on for 2 more weeks! I'm hoping that she can keep it on for 2 more weeks. She is putting a fair amount of pressure on her leg, but it does shake a little when she walks. I'm thinking that is because she has lost so much muscle mass in that back right leg. If I can't get to ISU on Tuesday, I am going to take her to my vet here in Iowa City and have them x-ray her leg for me (to check for bone deterioration and infection inside the bone) and also have Dr. Connon (who has experience with this kind of procedure) take a look at her pin tracks.

I'll keep you all posted!

Lots of crossed fingers and paws for your pupper! Happy to see a good update so far.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest jturchi2

The external fixator is off!! :) Dye is walking better now than when she had the fixator on. Her knee looks really good. We are going to give her 2 more weeks of light exercise (aka: potty duty only with a towel to help her walk) and then we will slowly increase her walk distance and time. She starts rehab in 2 weeks at Iowa State (underwater treadmills, pools, you name it!) Right now we have to be careful to not let her fall on her right leg because of the pin holes in her bones. The 2nd pin had quite a bit of bone decay around it, but the doctor tells me that it will fill in and she will be back to her old self in about 4-6 weeks. So we see the clearing and are moving forward towards it. Just a few more weeks until we are in the clear. I think I will be cautious with Dye for quite some time to come though. It will be nice to get back to our normal walking schedule!

Thank you for all of the warm happy thoughts through the past 2 months. It has been such an ordeal, but I am glad that John and I did everything we could for her. She is well worth it! :)