Donating Blood

Guest Lorraineandcrew

Guest Lorraineandcrew

Hi all,

My two pups, Dashel and Q’tesh, donated blood this weekend for a canine blood bank, and I thought I would share our experience with everyone, in case anyone is interested.

As most of us grey slaves know, greyhounds blood is more of a “universal” blood type and can be used on most dogs, so our pups can really help save a lot of animals in need.

The company that performed the collection is called Lifestream, and they are a very experienced and professional group. The checked the dogs heart rate before and after the collection, and monitored how the pups were doing all along to ensure that they were not getting stressed. They cleaned Dash’s leg and put a small butterfly needle into his foreleg vein (as opposed to the jugular) and the machine quietly purred away, collecting the required amounts of blood. Once they had the amount required, they turned the machine off and removed the needle, and even though they could have taken more, Dash’s best interests were of the most importance. Then they put a blanket on the floor so he could lie down in comfort, gave him a drink and lots of treats! Then it was Q’tesh’s turn, and we went through the process again. They checked both their heart rates before we left, and requested that we stayed at the clinic for about 15 minutes after they had finished donating to ensure that both dogs were ok. Both of them came through with flying colours, they stood still for the 15 – 20 minutes it takes to collect, and didn’t make a peep! I am so very proud of my pups!

In return, they did a complete blood count on both of my dogs, blood typing, heartworm and ehrlicia testing, amongst others. They gave me heartworm prevention meds for both, (they would have given them all their vaccines if they weren’t up to date), a big bag of medi treats, and a snappy red bandana to boot! If I ever need any blood products, they will also provide me with blood products free of charge for the life of my dogs. My pups are no worse for wear, and have done a fantastic thing to help save other pups.

If you have ever thought about it, or are just finding out about it now, I urge you to consider donating blood – it benefits everyone all around.

You can check out their website at www.animalbloodbank.ca to get more info. I believe they work out of different animal clinics at different times, so they may be in a neighbourhood near you. Tell them Dash sent you!

ps. I've got pics, just don't know how to post. If you have any other questions, feel free to pm me

Yes, it is a wonderful program! :)

Echo, Uber and Orion are all donors (they just gave a week ago). For anyone in the London area, you can contact the Adelaide Emergency vet for information since it's done there. They do use the jugular, but it's pretty much the same process.

Echo and Orion have been donors for over two years, Uber joined last summer. You get some great benefits and you feel good about helping others in need :D

Mine have never had any problems after donation, in fact, when we first joined, we were told they would be tired for a day or so afterwards... not true for our guys, Uber and Echo are ready to go crazy after a quick nap. :lol

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

I want to say THANK YOU. I have a blood donor but also a recipient whose life was saved because of a blood donor. You should be very very proud :clap:clap:clap

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Brilly is the only one our local vet blood bank will use of our four - well, they might take Pogo, but he's such a scaredy cat, I don't want to put him through it!

They take from the jugular, and under light anesthesia, which I'm not thrilled about, but they're the only game in town. They also scale his teeth, trim his nails, offer flea stuff, and a few other goodies, including free blood if needed for all pets in the household.

Last time, he got a hematoma under his jaw which was funky and lasted for several days. It never bothered him, and is gone now. I wish there was a group like your's here! :)

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

I'm glad you went ahead and did it. Aren't Joan and Sandie great? Our guys just love seeing them.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest greytelectric

My male grey is a blood donor here in Portland, Oregon with the Dove Lewis Emergency Animal Hospital. He donates about every 3 months. He gets a free physical, a massage, they take the blood from the jugular (he usually falls asleep) and then he gets another massage and gets to pick a free toy. Oh, and lots of cookies!

I am told that dogs walk out with the same number of red blood cells they walk in with. No down time with them. It's a wonderful program that we are proud to be a part of.

Guest AussieWilma

We're really glad of the donations too - our Miss Wilma received plasma this week which we're sure has helped with her recovery to date.

Actually greyhound blood donation is how we came to find out about these wonderful hounds. We had another dog Suzie who was really sick, requiring a blood transfusion and when we asked about where the blood came from found out about the greyhounds. That got us interested in the breed - and our next 'pup' was Wilma - at that time 6 years old who had been adopted and returned a couple of times already in Australia!

So a very big thank-you - we really appreciate it - big ear scratches for the donor hounds too - for being so courageous - and a couple of sloppy puppy kisses from Wilma.

Guest koolaidnconner

Kool Aid, Conner and Oranda have all donated, it was time to go back a few weeks ago but with Conner getting sick we are putting it off for a bit. Our clinic here also uses the jugular vein. Everything went good, the kids were there same selves after words.

Guest Ohiogreymom

My 2 boys are blood donors for OSU. They receive canned and dry food, all their Heartgard, Frontline Plus, all shots, and free blood for life. It's a very worthwhile program, and helpful to all. My boys actually love going there. They get lots of loving, and lots of cookies after. :lol I'm VERY proud of them! :P

Guest LynnM
As most of us grey slaves know, greyhounds blood is more of a “universal†blood type and can be used on most dogs, so our pups can really help save a lot of animals in need.

That's actually a very common myth. It's amazing that many vets perpetuate it. I've stuck a full kennel to screen for donors and the results are frustrating. Once you exclude the dogs that are not universal and the universals that carry TBD's, you actually have a MUCH better shot at finding a suitable donor amongst the general animal shelter population. One thing that is true is that greyhounds tend to have a higher hematocrit than other breeds, so you get more bang for your buck when transfusing to an anemic dog.

Fortunately, the blood type doesn't matter so much, since dogs are different from us humans in that they aren't born sensitized to their blood antigens. In other words, a dog can receive a transfusion from an incompatible dog ONCE and have no ill effects, even if the blood has not been cross matched. Only upon receiving blood with foreign antigens does the dog become sensitized. VERY few dogs ever require two transfusions in their lives, so it's a moot point for the vast majority.

Lynn

Edited by LynnM