What Is This On My Dog?

Guest shelbygirl07

Guest shelbygirl07

So i'm out in the garden today, my hands and entire body was filthy... We are planting this weekend..

Shelby was lounging in the grass near me and i see this black spot on her shoulder. I immediatly thing it's a tick so i dropped what i was doing to remove it and instead of a tick, this is what i found. Don't mind the filthy hands covered in dirt.

136691108_o.jpg

136691111_o.jpg

Is this a tick bite? it isn't soft like a blood blister but it's not hard like a scab. What do you think it is?

It looks like a blood blister. I emailed it to my vet so i didn't wash my hands i just grabbed my cell phone and CLICK. It doesn't hurt her when poked at and she let me take the pics without making a peep so i don't know.. anyone have any idea?

It looks like it has an "eye" in the middle so that's why i suspect tick bite.. They never get that close to my dog without me knowing and i didn't see it on her when i bathed her 2 days ago so it happened between now and then..

YUK!

I've never lived in an area with ticks so I have no experience with them what-so-ever. It looks like a blood blister.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

My two have both had growths similar to this removed in the last month; initially the growths looked like blood blisters but over time (a few weeks) they became more scab-like.

One turned out to be a Cutaneous Hemangioma and the other was an Angiokeratoma (which as I understood it is a variation on Cutaneous Hemangioma). Whilst these were classified as benign growths, the pathologist advised that they can sometimes progress to Cutaneous Hemangiosarcoma if left.

There are so many different types of growth, though, that Shelby's could be something completely different.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest Willow8

Tick bites do not look like that - they have a teeny little head. It kind of looks like a warble - look it up on the net - it's caused by flies but it's too yucky to try to explain. That "eye" could be a larva. :eek One of my cats got one once. They're gross but it would be better than some kind of growth.

Guest shelbygirl07

I have an appointment on Tuesday to discuss SHelby's blood work results. I will have my vet look at her "spot"

It kind of looks like a blueberry sticking out of her skin.

Thanks guys!

Guest TuxsMom

if its a warble...yuk...i had a stray cat with one once. i'll never forget THAT conversation at the vets :gmark

glad to hear you have an appt soon...let us know how it goes !

Guest jg_consult

George had one of these, almost identical size and color. The vet removed it and it was benign. He's fine, this was removed over two years ago.

Guest greydogluvr
My two have both had growths similar to this removed in the last month; initially the growths looked like blood blisters but over time (a few weeks) they became more scab-like.

One turned out to be a Cutaneous Hemangioma and the other was an Angiokeratoma (which as I understood it is a variation on Cutaneous Hemangioma). Whilst these were classified as benign growths, the pathologist advised that they can sometimes progress to Cutaneous Hemangiosarcoma if left.

There are so many different types of growth, though, that Shelby's could be something completely different.

This is absolutely true. I had my grey's Cutaneous Hemangioma growths removed many times over a 6 year period. The growths began internally at about age 11.5 and he was diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma. Hopefully it is something completely different.

Edited by greydogluvr

Guest shelbygirl07

she took a biopsy and am waiting the results since it was sent out to a different lab. I have to see her tuesday to find out. When they did the biopsy, there wasn't blood and it wasn't like a scab. SHe said it had the consistancy of jello. BLECK!

She looked at it under the microscope for bacteria and there wasn't any bacteria but they are culturing it just in case.

so we will find out what it is Tuesday when louie goes in for, yet another, follow up to his pannus....

Guest shelbygirl07
Indi had a growth similar to this a few months ago. Hers ended up being a benign growth. Hopefully this will be, too

Sorry forgot to post an undate.

Ok it's benign.. YAY! We talked about so much on Tuesday that I completely spaced out.. I was just so excited that Shelby gained almost 3 pounds that I couldn't focus on anything but that...

YAY shelby. Hopfully this will launch us into a lull with HER health problems. Now if i can get Boo's eyes stabilized we'll be golden!!!

Guest lizmego
if its a warble...yuk...i had a stray cat with one once. i'll never forget THAT conversation at the vets :gmark

glad to hear you have an appt soon...let us know how it goes !

So I looked up Warble on Google. GROSS!!!! And I won't post pictures. ICK. And thankfully, that spot on Shelby looks nothing like the photos I saw of warbles.

Guest WarmheartedPups

Roo had something that looked just like that...it was hemangiosarcoma.....have the Vet take a peek...soon. It could be benign or malignant.. probably no way to tell unless a biopsy is done.

Guest shelbygirl07
Roo had something that looked just like that...it was hemangiosarcoma.....have the Vet take a peek...soon. It could be benign or malignant.. probably no way to tell unless a biopsy is done.

a biopsy and culture were both done last week and came back benign and there was no bacterial growth that signified an infection of some sort. She seems to think it's a fleshy type mole that had become pigmented. Just like humans get but a little bit of a different texture.

Blech!