Almost Choked To Death...update

Guest freightsmom

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear things are ok. Good luck at the vet's tomorrow, and let us know what s/e says tomorrow if you can...

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest shelbygirl07

call your local chapter of The Red Cross and take the

pet first aid/ CPR class. I am a certified pet first aid instructor for the Red Cross and inhave had to use the heimlich on my little boo before. It can be very scary and you have to be calm.

I have been in that situation before. Please think about taking the class so you can be properly prepared mentally and physically for what ever happens.

In am very happy things turned out ok for you and your puppers!

Edited by shelbygirl07

Guest ArtysPeople
Here is a brochure that is on my website on the products page (in case you forget). Print it out and put it on the fridge or inside a cupboard in the kitchen. There was no way I could put Rob on the ground -- I was over him and did the thrusts with him and I both standing:

Heimlich and CPR

Thanks, Burpdog. One question, though. That sheet says to turn the dog upside down to do the Heimlich. Maybe I'm not envisioning this correctly, but how do you hold a grey upside down and do thrusts? I've learned the maneuver for humans in classes before, and my understanding was that you are trying to compress the diaphragm so that it expells the air forcefully and dislodges whatever is causing the blockage. You do this with thrusts that are upward and inward, with the person in a standing position right in front of you. So, if the dog is upside down, how do you do a thrust that is both forceful enough and in the right direction (which would then be downward?) to dislodge the obstruction? If I were trying to hold a grey upside down, it seems I'd be putting more pressure on their stomach or even lower legs than their diaphragm? :dunno

Maybe I should post a new thread on this

Large dog, do it with the dog standing or lying on the ground.

freightsmom, glad all is well with your pupper -- what a monstrous scare!!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest ArtysPeople
Large dog, do it with the dog standing or lying on the ground.

:rolleyes: Well DUH on me. OK, that makes a lot more sense. I sometimes forget that there are dogs out there in the world who are the size of my cats.

Guest freightsmom
Thanks for the update! Glad to hear things are ok. Good luck at the vet's tomorrow, and let us know what s/e says tomorrow if you can...

All's good! Just got home from the vet a little while ago and no broken or cracked ribs, no throat damage. Freight ate some kibble today for the first time since he got choked so we are looking good! Doc says we did the right thing and probably saved his life.

Happy Friday all :D

Sorry! I meant to give an update but I think I did something wrong. Update is under orginal post date. Freight says to tell his extended greyhound family thanks for all the hugs and good wishes.

I'm so glad everything worked out!! I can't find the origianl thread :unsure , so I don't know what exactly happened but it sounds terrifying...Hugs to all of you!

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves