Thyroid Medication Question - Levothyroxine

Guest ProudGreyMom

Guest ProudGreyMom

Jake is 9 and a 1/2 years old and he just started taking Levothyroxine on April 23rd. He takes 2 pills a day, one in the AM and one PM. My question(s) - does this medication make them more thirsty than normal? And did anyone notice any changes or side effects in their grey when they were on the medication? He is fine with his poos, no runny ones or anything.

Sometimes it can take several weeks to level out. You may also have to adjust their dosage. My vet said that, like with other Rx's, greys react differently and the usual dosage may be too much or too little. And the type of thyroid can make a difference as well. The Dude is on soloxine and it seems to be better for him than the levothyroxine. I'd talk to your vet and see if an adjustment might be needed.

greysmom ;)

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest LokisMom

Cole is on Soloxine and he seems to drink a lot compared to our other 2. I assumed it was due to either the thyroid or the meds but don't know for sure.

Thyroid issues can cause excessive drinking themselves, never heard of the medicine causing it.

Be careful if using something other than Soloxine that they don't change the generic type on you--that tends to really mess Patrick up.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest houndlover

Billy has been on thyroid meds for years and was an excessive drinker before he even started the meds. I have not seen any real changes in him b/c of side effects of the meds though.

I did notice changes when Billy started taking the meds but they weren't side effects. He lost quite a bit of weight (he was very overweight before being on the meds) and he seemed more energetic.

John E did better on the soloxine than the levothyroxine. But, if you use the levothryoxine, you can get it at Walmart for $4 a month. I don't know how that compares to what your vet is charging.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I take levothyroxine as does Red. I drink a lot, but I always have. I don't know that Red drinks any more than Chase. Personally, I have been on different brand name thyroid meds, and I have not noticed a difference. I've been doing this for 33 years. I've also seen a generic become the brand name because they turned in the proper paperwork to the FDA and the brand name didn't. :rolleyes: We both just had thryoid tests and are both right in the middle of our ranges. I just wish the vet could sell me mine, too :lol I'm paying just under $17 for 120. Walmart sounds like better deal though.

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Guest ProudGreyMom

Thanks for all the replies. I will check to see if the pills are Generic, and also speak to the vet about the other medication. I just worry about my boy.