Dental Costs

Guest Attitude

Guest scfilby

We just got an estimate this afternoon here in Birmingham. We were told with predental bloodwork and post antibiotics would be a maximum of 230.00. Extractions are extra, but Mickey won't need any..

Guest sevencups3

Junie's vet visit this week totalled $279.80 (Nashville).

Wellness exam - $39.60 Rabies - $14.05 Rabies license - $4.00

Preanesthetic lab panel - $35.65 Isoflurane anesth. first hour - $107.00

Clean and polish teeth - $74.85

One extraction - $4.65 (we found out Junie has redundant teeth and Dr. Machery removed one of those small teeth way in the back.)

They should charge me extra because I am very nervous anytime we have to take Junie to the vet, and i know i'm high maintenance. Junie is 10.5 years old, but is in amazing shape. He did not need any medicine and by that night, he was gnawing on a CET chewie.

• 1 month later...
Guest mzmazzei

Don't forget to consider the advancement of gum disease into the cost. Not only is anesthesia/prep/blood/etc for a senior dog more expensive - if the gum disease has advanced a lot - it requires a lot more time and anesthesia to get 'em clean. This is why you don't get a set fee by phone. As an example:

$95 for a human prophy without anesthesia, healthy gums, no DDS exam, no X-rays.

$860 for human scaling and root planing (cannot do a prophy-gum disease too advanced) with anesthesia, done in 2 90 minute appointments.

People have the same number of teeth as dogs. To really get below the gumline and smooth the root surfaces to prevent the bacteria just going straight back to those nooks and crannies, you need both the anesthesia and time. People can get it done with local anesthesia. Dogs cannot.

This is why I don't advocate for ONLY anesthesia free dog dentals. If a human cannot tolerate the procedure without anesthesia, why should we expect our dog? We have a vet perform an annual dental with anesthesia, then at the 6 month interval, we have an anesthesia-free dental with a doggy hygienist.

Just some thoughts from a dentist's wife!

I paid around $435 for George's dental--no extractions, no serious tartar, some x-rays.

I paid close to $700 at the same place for my CAT, who had 16 teeth pulled...

In the grand scheme of things, it's more important to find a vet who you're comfortable with and who has the experience to handle the task.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Don't forget to consider the advancement of gum disease into the cost. Not only is anesthesia/prep/blood/etc for a senior dog more expensive - if the gum disease has advanced a lot - it requires a lot more time and anesthesia to get 'em clean. This is why you don't get a set fee by phone. As an example:

$95 for a human prophy without anesthesia, healthy gums, no DDS exam, no X-rays.

$860 for human scaling and root planing (cannot do a prophy-gum disease too advanced) with anesthesia, done in 2 90 minute appointments.

People have the same number of teeth as dogs. To really get below the gumline and smooth the root surfaces to prevent the bacteria just going straight back to those nooks and crannies, you need both the anesthesia and time. People can get it done with local anesthesia. Dogs cannot.

This is why I don't advocate for ONLY anesthesia free dog dentals. If a human cannot tolerate the procedure without anesthesia, why should we expect our dog? We have a vet perform an annual dental with anesthesia, then at the 6 month interval, we have an anesthesia-free dental with a doggy hygienist.

Just some thoughts from a dentist's wife!

Interesting, thanks. I hadn't realized that the more advanced level existed for people--that makes what our dogs get make more sense.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest nursenearlyther

you might want to contact Blacknbrindle (Spud and Sadie's Mom) and find out where she has possbly taken ber babies since she is in Tucson.

Guest paulamariez

We just had Bueller's teeth cleaned last month to the tune of $ 650.00. I couldn't believe it. That was far more costly than a human's dental appointment. Granted they are not put under anesthesia!! But Bueller's cleaning was very involved. He had no extractions and the cost did cover pre-dental bloodwork testing and follow up pain meds. But still WAY more than I was expecting. I was thinking more in the $ 350 to $ 400 dollar range. This was in the Wisconsin area, north of Milwaukee. Not an area I would expect to be very pricey when it comes to vet costs, but it is far more expensive than when we lived in south east Wisconsin area.