Colitis Issues...

As some of you know, my sweet Soldi had intermittent colitis every 14 days during 2 long years. Her issues included bloody diarrhea, tummy noises

and 1 day without eating. Then she was perfect again until the next colitis episode. She had lots of exams and was diagnosed with idiopatic IBD and

the vets wanted to put her on Prednisone for the rest of her life. I didn't agree and stopped vaccinating her and took her off all chemical stuff and

like a miracle her colitis got less and less and stopped. 6 years she was perfect...not one colitis. Now she has started again after her season and

her colitis issues come and go without medication. 1 day tummy noises, then 1 liquid, bloody stool and back to normal until next time. She's not

dehydrated ever, no fever ever and her gums look fine. Her stools become perfect within 2 days...The vets told me that it's something in her

system without a known reason and that the only 'remedy' would be Prednisone. I don't want to put her on Prednisone as it causes other problems.

I've found a product that sounds very good but I've never seen it on GT...it's called GASTRIPLEX:

http://www.wellvet.com/gastriplex.html

WellVet.Com Gastriplex

Has anybody heard about this product or even used it...some experiences?

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Here she is...as you can see she's not underweight at all and looks fine. The pic was taken last week...

Supersoldi.JPG

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Soldi, you are beautiful! I have heard of & used Gastriplex. Vet recommended it for one of my dogs. It was helpful short term, early in his saga but his issues were not colitis & way bigger than any supplement could solve. If I'd thought of it I would have tried it for my girl's intermittent colitis. We battled intermittent colitis for a year. Finally switched to a no grains diet. Problems disappeared & have not recurred for 8+ months.

Sorry the problem has cropped up again for Soldi. Hope you find a solution that does not involve pred. That gorgeous girl deserves another 6 years without colitis.

Soldi, you are beautiful! I have heard of & used Gastriplex. Vet recommended it for one of my dogs. It was helpful short term, early in his saga but his issues were not colitis & way bigger than any supplement could solve. If I'd thought of it I would have tried it for my girl's intermittent colitis. We battled intermittent colitis for a year. Finally switched to a no grains diet. Problems disappeared & have not recurred for 8+ months.

Sorry the problem has cropped up again for Soldi. Hope you find a solution that does not involve pred. That gorgeous girl deserves another 6 years without colitis.

Thanks KUDZU! I would be glad if she could live another 6 years as she's 8,5 now, so she would be 14,5 years...

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Guest mandm

My greyhound had some awful digestion problems which I more or less fixed by finding a diet that agrees with him. His stomach remains VERY sensitive and I am very careful about what I feed him and also careful with supplements. I have not used Gastriplex, but use other Thorne Research vitamin/mineral supplements. I only use Thorne Research due to their purity, no others. I am not a purist, it is just that it is the only type of supplement that my greyhound tolerates. They are very expensive compared to other brands. I am extremely hesitant to try anything new, but I would probably try Gastriplex if I were you.

I assume that you have watched her diet to see if it is in anyway related to food. Maybe as she is getting older, a general adjustment in her diet may be needed? What do you feed her?

Her problem is not food related as she does perfectly on her food. She gets a mixed diet based on Premium dry food, meat, yoghourt, an egg every

now and then, sardines etc. Her issues are systemic and appear with a certain regularity, never mind what food she gets.

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Guest Winterwish

Hi Marion,and Soldi and Ivy too, :) I've never used that product and don't know of any testimonials of it,I'm sorry. Sending best wishes to you and Soldi,beautiful as ever! :heart

Edited by Winterwish