We Have Shedding.

This is totally not a big deal - greys are dogs - dogs are mammals - mammals loose hair (even humans). So- yes, my greyhounds (dispite what SOME people claim) - shed.

But - they don't shed much. Now - SPRING has FINALLY come!!! :colgate So - the dogs are shedding. Not Diana, her hair is so thin and tight, she never seems to loose a bit. But Sobe and the foster are blowing hair like crazy!!! They have more hair, and thicker than Diana.

So - other than brushing daily (outside) ..... any suggestions? Also - Sobe's dandruff is showing up again. He's black, so it SHOWS. It's not his food, he's been doing very well with this food for a long time. I've started giving him fishoil caps again, and giving canned salmoln or JackMack weekly.

Wait it out? Brush more? Bath? Something else? I use a "glove" to brush, with little rubber rubs in it. Maybe a different brush?

Not a biggie - just looking for thoughts. :colgate

Guest BlackandBrindle

Bathing is going to make the dandruff worse.

What I do for Sadie, who is black and fuzzier than Spud, is to brush her outside. I then take a babywipe and get all the dandruff off. When blowing winter coats it doesn't seem to matter how much fish oil they get, they'll both have dandruff.

I like the glove with the nubbies on it better than any other brushes I've used.

I love, love, love a brush made by Kong called the 'Zoom Groom." It pulls away amazing amounts of loose hair, and the hounds LOVE it. They'll stand and let me do it for as long as I'm willing to brush.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest greytpets

^^ Zoom Grooms are a favourite here aswell :D I love them- You can use them on dry coat or on a wet coat to work the shampoo up well and clean down to the skin. The zoom groom is also really comfortable to hold.

51E7KMVZCVL._AA280_.jpg

^^ Zoom Grooms are a favourite here aswell :D I love them- You can use them on dry coat or on a wet coat to work the shampoo up well and clean down to the skin. The zoom groom is also really comfortable to hold.

51E7KMVZCVL._AA280_.jpg

I considered getting one of these but thought it might hurt tender greyhound skin. So you all would recommend the Zoom Grooms, yes?

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I use the furminator. You have to be extremely gentle, but it pulls a lot of hair out. Argos didn't seem to get the memo that he's a greyhound, and twice a year blows his coat like a husky. I have used the nubby gloves but they don't seem to pull much hair out. I'll have to check out the zoom groom. That looks like a good one.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest LolasMom
I considered getting one of these but thought it might hurt tender greyhound skin. So you all would recommend the Zoom Grooms, yes?

We use Zoom Grooms here and both pups love their brushin's! :)

Guest krisandzoo

I had the glove, the zoom groom an the furminator. What really works here varies by the dog. Bentley has super fine hair so the glove works best on him...the others don't do much. The zoom groom is greyt on my 2 fluffier hounds. I use the furminator on my JR who has wire hair. It's the only thing that works for him. I may start using it on Benson because his coat is crazy thick.

I second using baby wipe (or doggie wipes here) to pull all of the loose hair off. If it's time for a bath maybe consider using a shampoo for less sheding. I was skeptical but it's helped my JR. I got some for $8 from PetSmart so it's not a huge waste of $ if it doesn't help.

Happy brushing!

Guest Lorraineandcrew
This is totally not a big deal - greys are dogs - dogs are mammals - mammals loose hair (even humans). So- yes, my greyhounds (dispite what SOME people claim) - shed.

But - they don't shed much. Now - SPRING has FINALLY come!!! :colgate So - the dogs are shedding. Not Diana, her hair is so thin and tight, she never seems to loose a bit. But Sobe and the foster are blowing hair like crazy!!! They have more hair, and thicker than Diana.

So - other than brushing daily (outside) ..... any suggestions? Also - Sobe's dandruff is showing up again. He's black, so it SHOWS. It's not his food, he's been doing very well with this food for a long time. I've started giving him fishoil caps again, and giving canned salmoln or JackMack weekly.

Wait it out? Brush more? Bath? Something else? I use a "glove" to brush, with little rubber rubs in it. Maybe a different brush?

Not a biggie - just looking for thoughts. :colgate

yah, my two didn't get the memo about greys not shedding too much. I think Dash actually has an undercoat, he is very fluffy. Both him and Q'tesh shed all year. I use a rubber brush, called a curry comb (originally for horses) and it's very similar to the zoom groom brushes in other posts. Available at petsmart. My two love being brushed (again, outside) I would just take a little care when going over the spine as it is hard rubber and doesn't "give", but it works very well and is practically indestructable. I actually use it a lot on their necks, I give them a good scratch with it, and it gets the hair out as well, the pups stretch their necks out and smile!

Guest jomalley

Oh my GOD we have so much hair-- I don't know how he hides it all on his body.

We moved from Miami to LA, so it's nice he actually got to USE his winter coat this year

Guest sheila

A shedding blade will work wonders. It looks scary but it really isn't. My dogs love it! This one has a bendy handle and I used kind of a flicking motion and the old dead hair just flies. I got this one at GIG for $6 but I'm sure you can find one anywhere that sells equine equipment. If you know someone who has used one have them show you how. You don't want to use it like a regular brush/comb and you do need to take extra care around the hips and spine.

000_0356.jpg